• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Really Torn On What To Do With My U13

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
My Broncoitis has been on hold for nearly 10 years because of this. I am getting sick of having a truck I don't drive.
Long story short, I have my 67 U15 that is need of a tub or significant metal replacement, that I intend on keeping. Its always been and will continue to be non stock. I bought a uncut 66 U13 that was pretty much stripped, just a tub, frame and some misc parts. I suspected that it might be an original roadster but didn't actually know what I was buying until I took delivery. The roadster tub is certainly salvageable and very solid, only needing floors and attention to a few small areas.
Finding out it was a first year roadster put a hamper on my swap plans. I came up with the plan on a frame off for the U13 and since I have zero interest in original would sell it in the end because they are rather desired. I have a few lines on '66 parts trucks so finding the bulk of the specific '66 parts that I am missing is doable but unless I am really lucky it will not be 100% date correct.
In the end I think I could spend an easy $20-25K on the U13. It seems the current market for a restored U13 is $45K and up...
This leaves me with the 67 that I'm keeping that still needs a tub and put off another year because of work on the U13. If the damn tub I bought was an every day vanilla wagon this would have been a no brainer.

lVtczCfBGCr73IVVOrF80yafrYdQ4tlmPJxgCUzDY8aP31ZSrc4e0Qgwjpo4Ra87N8On38P32NsZpS2OsOXtsZjRO8_L_QwQYjJsNhxvJ-5v6GR7jp4SFF2QHZNgVMWhgG5Gp0scYA=w2400

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tVnULAuxYNeSocYm6

77Bronco636

Sell the roadster as is (dont swap the tub out to the other truck) take the money from the roadster sale and build up your 67 how you want it.....;). Then later you can wish you had a roadster! Ask me how I know....:)

Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'm sure someone here would buy it as is. What was the build month?

luke

Man. That thing has a sweet look to it. I've got a 66 6 cyl, trans, and t case ready to drop in! Also a 66 tailgate! Wait, what am I doing? Bronchitis! Ive got it too.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Sell the roadster as is (dont swap the tub out to the other truck) take the money from the roadster sale and build up your 67 how you want it.....;). Then later you can wish you had a roadster! Ask me how I know....:)

Yeah for sure, regrets regrets..

triracer67

Contributor
I would install seats, and drive that thing! Mine looks very similar and it's my DD.

OP
OP
Cavalry

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I would install seats, and drive that thing! Mine looks very similar and it's my DD.
I probably have enough parts laying around to make a driveable Frankenstein out of it, but it would need the motor mounts to be converted to V8, no 6 poppers in inventory.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Cavalry like you I'm a big fan of the 66....but i would focus on that title situation before even worrying about anything else! made any progress?

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
u13

I could be wrong but I don't see a restored 6 cyl u13 bringing $45,000; v8 is another story. Am I out of touch?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I could be wrong but I don't see a restored 6 cyl u13 bringing $45,000; v8 is another story. Am I out of touch?

I know of 3 just in the last year, 2 of which we're nicely done but not very 66' whatsoever. The third one was legit, and was the cheapest of the 3 lol.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
In my life, if I'm not personally excited about the project, I have a hard time focusing & getting it done. The worst was a 58 Jag that was a "for profit" project. It took longer than expected, I lost interest, never finished the thing, sold it, & all the "profit" for the work I did worked out to about 50 cents an hour.

I have limited project time available & ever since that Jag I save it for stuff I like. Some guys are able to do stuff for the profit that can be moved on to their own projects, but I'm no good at that.

So my 2 cents says to sell the U13 on to someone who loves it & use your efforts on the one you want.

OP
OP
Cavalry

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I dragged it out of where its been hiding all this time. While under cover out of the elements it was far from climate controlled. Time has not been kind and its much more rough than when I stuffed it in there. Bummer.