• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reamer

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
Looking to borrow or buy a reamer in the Houston area to install a new BC steering setup. Anyone in the area willing?

Tech related: Any tips for doing the job on the truck? I have '74 suspension.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
get a good one. I bought the one from I think it was the mac truck, it lasted one set and it toast.

Tech: go slow and use lots of cutting oil. Check often on the fit of the tie rod end. If you think it is close go ahead and put the nut on and see if it will tighten up. If you go too far in reaming it could be a bad thing.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
ON the truck will probably be the worst case scenario for the longevity of the tool and for the outcome.

My advice is to do it right, pull the knuckle (check/replace ball joints, u-joints and bearings). When you ream the knuckle, use a good clamping system for the knuckle and a drill press. Estimate depth the reamer needs to go by eyeballing it against the TRE, then put tape on the reamer. This will keep your hole straight, not over-bored, etc. Cutting oil is a must...but going slow with a drill press will keep the tool from dulling. HTH

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
come by and I will ream it for you. I made a jig to hold the knuckles when I first made the TRO bushings. After a short time we found that the knuckle on the truck was stable enough to ream them on the truck but we can do it either way.

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I have a reamer you could borrow. I live west of Conroe.

I would highly suggest going to Chuck first because his setup will do it right the first time. Plus you could see his new shop. I'll let you borrow mine under the caveat that if you dull it you buy it. PM me if you are interested. Also you could bring the knuckles to me and I could help you ream them out. I don't have a jig. I just do it by hand.

Scott

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I bought the one from Snap on.. I got it because it was the cheapest.. Well you get what you pay for is all I can say.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've heard the snap on reamer wasn't very good. I bought the cheaper one Chuck sells. I've done 5 sets with it going slow and using lots of oil. It's still in good shape.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I meant to mention in my post that I got mine from Wholesale Tool for between $20 and 30. Still works just fine. Sorry I forgot to mention the cheap option.

cobra70

Loc.
Bryan, Tx
You can try Bass Tools on Hempstead hwy. You can buy a premium or import. the price depends on which one you get but they sell quality tools for the machine shop industry
but if you can it is always best to take to someone that knows what they are doing i learned this from past jobs

OP
OP
S

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
For future reference to the community (or anyone searching for this topic):

I found a company that only makes reamers and quite a few of the online tool suppliers buy their inventory from this company.

Chadwick and Trefethen Inc, they do reamers only and have been around since 1892.
http://www.chadwickreamers.com/

The part number I ordered is 85020 listed as a "standard ball joint reamer".
1 1/2" per foot (7.15 degrees) taper, 1" large D, 7/16" small D.

$60.40 plus shipping when you order it direct.

Happy reaming :eek: