• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear axel seal question

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
1st off

i know i have a sb read end, but are there diffrent seals for the smalls or just small or big bearing?

and next, i cought it early and kept full fluids till i got home, do i need to bother with the bearings too or just do the seals???

FYI, im work'n too much to do it myself so its guna be at a shop.

thx for the info!!! (in advance)

:cool:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If your paying for labor and in that far replace the bearing too if they have never been replaced. 40 years or so of duty has been long enough especially for a small bearing axle. If you pull an axle after 100,000 miles I concider that time to replace them. Its worth the extra $200 bucks or so to avoid a bad day if you can afford it.

ohpoo2

Contributor
Yes for sure could be the reason the seal went bad.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
ok so, next question then:

I assume in this case i would be just replacing the outer bearing & seal...

I'm 99% sure the inners were done when I went to 4.88's.

and to that end I take it i dont need to do a new set of inner seals just cause i'm yank'n axels past em do I??

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
i wouldn't worry about the inners they seem to last a long time

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
but i mean the seals are fine to reuse on the inner?

I assume they are... but i dont wana opperate on mearley an assumption

thx once more!!!!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
but i mean the seals are fine to reuse on the inner?

I assume they are... but i dont wana opperate on mearley an assumption

thx once more!!!!

ok now i am confused the rear doesn't have inner seals like the front?:?

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
lol, ok I was look'n at the axel blow-up and the bearing is a 2 piece deal i guess... I thought it was bearing, seal not a grease cap or what ever it is...

haha ok thanks guys!!!!!

NYLES

Bronco Guru
just a seal on the rear outer, bearings are pressed on the axles with a retaining plate between bearing and axle...all there is to it