• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear axle/ bearing question?

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Have what appears to be big bearing axle (over 3 1/4"). Drums are 11" inside diameter. &4 bronco. So is this a large bearing medium duty or what type rear end? Also when I put a new bearing on it HAS to be pressed on right? Thanks for your help.
Mike

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From the description it sounds like the large bearing(you can always take it to the parts store with you to make sure you get the right one)and yes, it will have to be pressed on along with the retainer collar.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The 74/75 'Medium' bearing axles use the smaller 10" drums, and have a special backing plate. If this is what you have and your doing brakes, you need the wheel cylinders for the bigger (11") brakes, and shoes for the 10" drums. The catolog at the parts store lies.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Big bearing OD measures 3.15" [80mm]. Since it has 11" drums, it should be a standard, big-bearing housing with 1/2" retainer bolts and a 2.375 x 3.500 rectangular pattern.

OP
OP
H

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
That sounds right as far as 1/2" retaining bolts (3/4" socket) is there a benefit of this config over the others? Also does bearing retaining color come with bearings at parts store? Of course I cut mine off since bearing was trash and could not get off any other way.

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The primary benefit is the larger bearing, plain and simple. As to whether it's better than the Torino/Medium/New style big-bearing housings, I'd say no, just because they use the same bearings and the aftermarket supports the Torino ends much more heavily with respect to rear disc options.

Yes, new axle bearings should include the retaining collars.