• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear axle housing question/opinions wanted

JAF

Contributor
Loc.
Washington State
Hi guys, after years of lurking in the shadows, reading build threads from all you guys, I've finally started working on my '74. I've got a question about the rear axle housing in this thing. I'm pretty sure it's not a bronco housing. The width is off (narrow). With the axles in it, from flange face to flange face, its 57 1/16" wide. Housing flange to flange is 52 3/4". If the housing is in good condition, should I be concerned about this? Could this be a potential problem down the road?
It looks like a centurion housing, and it has 3.25" tubes, but with deep bird's mouth cuts.
Anyway, I'd really appreciate any opinions you guys have.
Thanks

Attachments

• rear housing.jpg
    rear housing.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 37

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That looks like an aftermarket 1977+ style housing center due to the V-shaped weld profile where the center joins with the tubes, as the Ford housings just had a circular weld seam between the tubes and housing. It's about 1.5 inches narrower than a factory EB 9", so maybe it was built for something else, but you can always make it wider with wheel spacers if you like...I don't see or read anything "concerning".

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That looks like one of the Currie HD housings that they offered for many years (and many of wish they still offered). V-cut center section, 3.25" diameter tubes, and likely 0.25" thick tubes. The strongest housings offered until folks started going with the fully-fabricated pieces. I have one on my truck and have another one that is bent that I'm going to try and straighten soon to keep as a spare.

In terms of comparison to the so-called Centurion housing (a name that Currie invented, as far as I can tell), the Centurion doesn't have the v-notch center section and the tubes are only 3.00" in dia and may have a thinner wall thickness too.

Todd Z.

Last edited:

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
Hi guys, after years of lurking in the shadows, reading build threads from all you guys, I've finally started working on my '74. I've got a question about the rear axle housing in this thing. I'm pretty sure it's not a bronco housing. The width is off (narrow). With the axles in it, from flange face to flange face, its 57 1/16" wide. Housing flange to flange is 52 3/4". If the housing is in good condition, should I be concerned about this? Could this be a potential problem down the road?
It looks like a centurion housing, and it has 3.25" tubes, but with deep bird's mouth cuts.
Anyway, I'd really appreciate any opinions you guys have.
Thanks
What's not to like? As long as it is big bearing with 31 spline shafts.

It's 57 wms, and factory rear was 58.5. But the front disc brake dana 44 is almost 60. So you can install a set of 1.5 inch wheel adapters, and it will be perfect.

Every lifted and cut Bronco needs to be a little wider in the rear already. And 3/4 of an inch per side is hard to do. It's actually easier at 1.5 inches per side. Your housing is actually better.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess I should have confirmed this previously, but do the axles have the correct 5x5.5" wheel pattern for the EB?

If it has brakes, what are they? Disc or drum? If it doesn't, which housing ends does it have?

Given the fact that it's an aftermarket housing, it most likely has the Ø80mm "big" axle bearings, but their are two common big-bearing housing ends, the old-style and the new-style "Torino" ends. These along with the axle offset will basically determine which brakes will be readily compatible, noting that if you go with drum brakes, the backing plates will need to match the application.

OP
OP
J

JAF

Contributor
Loc.
Washington State
The axle housing has the "old" style big bearings. It has 11 x 1 3/4" drums. The backing plates are bendix 319130's. I believe this is configured like the standard duty rear end.
Thanks to everyone for your input. I think I'll go ahead and keep it.