• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Axle Removal Fun - Not So Much

Bullitt94

Loc.
Marshfield, WI
I'm pulling my rear axles out so I can remove the 3rd member to put a mini spool in. On the driver side I used the drum as a slide hammer method to pull the axle, and in less than 5 min I had the axle out. It worked like a charm and I was feeling good. :cool: So i moved to the passanger side and have been at it for over 3 hours now with no luck. I don't think I even budged it. I'm not feeling so good anymore. :mad: I've been trying the drum method and even went as far as to put a high lift jack between the leaf spring and axle flange to spread it hoping to pop it free, but I can't get it to go. I have not yet gone to rent a slide hammer since I needed to take a break from it for a while first. I'm having my doubts about whether it will work or not. Before I do go rent one, does anyone have any good ideas to at least get the s.o.b. to budge?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You're sure you have all four bolts out right? Silly question I know since you got the other side out, but might want to double check.

Oatmeal

The bearing might be rusted in the axle housing bore......maybe shoot some penetrating lube (PB Blaster has always worked best for me) in there and take a good long break, drink a beer and relax before trying it again.

Nothing worse than getting frustrated and losing my (oops, meant to say your) temper:p

Hans

OP
OP
Bullitt94

Bullitt94

Loc.
Marshfield, WI
You're sure you have all four bolts out right? Silly question I know since you got the other side out, but might want to double check.

They are off. I know because I was moving the plate off the studs to check my (lack of) progress.

LOL! If I didn't have them off I think I'd go cry myself to sleep.

OP
OP
Bullitt94

Bullitt94

Loc.
Marshfield, WI
The bearing might be rusted in the axle housing bore......maybe shoot some penetrating lube (PB Blaster has always worked best for me) in there and take a good long break, drink a beer and relax before trying it again.

Nothing worse than getting frustrated and losing my (oops, meant to say your) temper:p

Hans

I started to do that, but sprayed out the last drops of the can in short order. I'll have to go ge some more PB Blaster and gve it the ol' college try.

I'll for sure do the beer plan...

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I rented a slide hammer (called a pilot bearing puller) from Pep Boys. You buy it (brand new) use it and then you can return it for 100% refund. I found it so useful I kept! I put it in the large hole in the flange with the studs and it came out 1,2,3. I beat it for an hour before I switched to the puller and it did not budge.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Old school trick. Fasten an 6 to 8 foot chain (heavy insize) to a lug nut (make sure it is very secure) and very carefully whip it. Some times it works and some times it dosen't.

Action

Mine

I used a winch strap tied to my skid steer and winched it tight and then beat on the axle with a BFH and out it shot.
Jack

OP
OP
Bullitt94

Bullitt94

Loc.
Marshfield, WI
I went and rented the slide hammer when I got more PB Blaster. I've been giving it the full soak several times during the day today. Tomorrow I will give it the full wrath of the slide hammer. If that doesn't work I'll try the chain. Either way I'll let you know how it goes.

I do like the winch and skid steer idea, though... :D

OP
OP
Bullitt94

Bullitt94

Loc.
Marshfield, WI
Well, I went out to the garage this morning and after one more shot of PB Blaster it took three, count 'em, three pulls on the slide hammer and the axle was free! :eek:

So for future reference, with stubborn axles soak the bearing edge in PB Blaster several times and jerk it out with a slide hammer.

Thank you all for the feedback.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
CONGRATS! Job well done! After reading this thread I'm keeping my Harbour Freight pilot bearing slide hammer set, it was less than $40 so why not?
C-