• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear brakes locking up

G

I'm having trouble with my rear brakes locking up while trying to stop normally. I have 10 inch stock drums on the rear and Duff's disk conversion up front along with Duff's proportioning valve. I don't run my truck much so I expect that I would get rust. Also, the rear end is light without the hard top. Are these the only contributing factors or do I have to make an adjustment? Should the rear lock up before the front? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JMurray

I think the front should lock just before the rear. I have a hardtop & my rear will lock up first in a panic stop.
I think it has to do with weight transfer. I am going to put in an adjustable proportioning valve. I am not sure thats the cure though, good luck.
Jerry

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
rear brakes could be dirty. you could have a axel leak causing 1 tire to lock faster than any others. Did you bleed your front brakes enough??

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
will the fronts lock at all? Sounds like the fronts are not working right. Is the bleeder on the top of the capiper? Did you bleed them? Is the line that goes to the front brakes coming from the reservoir nearest the firewall?

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I have 4W discs and one of my rear wheels seems to want to lock up before the rest. I attribute it to the lack of weight in the rear. I have a soft top, and a pre-runner bumper up front (heavy). I hope when I get a similar bumper for the rear this summer that it will even it out a bit

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I have 4 Wheel Discs and mine locks the rear up before the front under heavy braking. It's just the way the weight transfers, I've seen video of mine, it must dive 5 inches or so. Think that's where the rear brakes lock up.

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
What Chuck said.

Also if your Prop valve isn't working right your rear would get to much pressure and lock up early. If you can't fix it with double checking the setup in the front brakes get a Wildwood adjustable prop valve that way you can "dial" in the right pressure for your Eb.

I have one and it works great.