• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Differential Fluid after Gear Change

stokers

Loc.
Lexington, KY
Just changed my gears and installed an ARB locker. What fluid do you recommend I use? Should I plan to change fluid after a break in period? If so, after how many miles and should I use same fluid or something different after break in period if needed. Please let me know you think.

Thanks
Bob

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Everybody makes great synthetic gear oil now. So you could prolly pick any bodies synthetic and be good.

With the 9" being a bitch to drain I would use top notch stuff, to hopefully extend lube changes. You'll need to drain at 500 miles(?) after a gear change any way right?

Something to consider.

If you use Royal Purple for example, and you get a leak you'll know if its your axles or not because its purple lube.
Unless you already use that in your engine or transfer case, haha....

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also with ARB, make sure you are using a lube not containing additives for limited slip.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Just use a good GL-5 75W-90. If all you can find is the LS type, it doesn`t matter. It will still work fine in your non-posi locker.
I haven't heard of changing gear oil after break-in, but I do like to do scheduled oil changes and always change gear oil after running in deep water.
Synthetic sounds like a good idea, but only if you run at extreme temperatures.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Most gear manufacturers and differential manufacturers want you to change fluid after a 500 mile break in. I presume its to get that initial break in wear metal out of there before the lubrication "long haul" change.
Other than going to Super Cel this year I would likely struggle to put 500 miles on my eb in a year, haha.
So yearly or after water crossings would cover my gear lube change interval requirements as well.

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
What I do on the 9" after a gear change (with out limited slip , air locker is fine) is coat the ring gear in an ngli 2 grease that contains an EP aditive, then fill with syn 75w140 and skip the break in oil change. Change oil yearly, or after water crossings, I have had great success with this method. And my personal preference on oil is Lucus oil, but I don't know that it is any better than anything else.