• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear differential vent

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Advice, experience and recomendations kindly appricated.....

Do I need to pay any particular special attention to the rear differential vent when re-installing my rear end?

Standard big bearing Ford 9". The brake block has a hole through the middle where the threaded vent goes. When I removed it, it had a short stub of hose attached as the vent.

I realize making the hose longer and ending it higher up somewhere would be better than the stubby little hose. Anything else, or new/modern/better way to do take care of this?

And I will soon working be working on the front as well, D44. Advice for things to be aware of and address on the front diff?

Thank you in advance!

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
I ran mine up high with the end aiming down with a Marlboro butt in it to keep bugs and dust out.So far so good.There are lots of options though...

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I added a vent to my transfer case and ran it into the engine bay. I will be doing the same for the axle vents.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I ran a long piece of fuel hose from the vent up into the frame. Several water crossings and no water in the diff. Bonus to this approach - you have spare fuel line to use in a pinch.
I have long thought about running all breathers up to the engine bay using hard line for most of it, with fuel hose making the connections. It's a project I may get to one day...

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You can put a cheap fuel filter on the end of the hose to keep debris out as well.
Like you said, up high somewhere in the frame or something.
Some run it up into the tail light housing area too. Just up out of the water/dust and stuff.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Around here during spring n summer,dirtdobbers plug the ends of the hoses on a regular basis! I have to keep a watch on that.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I ran mine up high and tied a loop in the end. One of the 4x mags said that helps keep the water out. BC sells a nice breather block to mount in engine bay if you want to run em all up there

JSBX

Contributor
I ran my hose into the bed found a short piece of metal brake line that fit tight in the hose flattened the other end and drilled a few very small holes in the brake line then zip tied it under bed rail. Did the same for front but ran it into the engine compartment. Keeps most dust and dirt dobbers out.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I use the plastic one way axle vent tube valves off of Chebby 4X4 trucks that I get at the PnP. They are usually up in the engine bay so easy to get to. I run mine up high and slip one of these in the top of the hose. I've never had problems with dirt dobbers messing with them and water can't get past the ball into the hose. I just pull them whenever I'm cruising the yard looking for parts for my truck/Bronco.
Mark.