• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear disks Finally!

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Well I finally got my rear disk swap done, took me a few weeks of working on it a little at a time. After swapping in the drum proportioning valve I noticed the front calipers weren't releasing, so bought some new calipers for the front too. Hopefully take it out for a test drive tomorrow.
DSCN3602_zpsgl8iflo9.jpg

DSCN3604_zpsg88nohjy.jpg

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
You should have done a guild thread on this mod. I'd like to do a mod like this but haven't seen a real reliable install. Can you give us some details as who/ what you used? Are you using stock MC or hydroboost?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Quick question... Do you lose your emergency brakes when you put disc on the rear???

Nah....
It is a GM design...
Z-28
Trans Am
Formula
Cadillac
Riviera
Were all optional with rear disc.
They have an integral parking brake in the caliper.
Front calipers will work and are only about $20 bucks.
Those rear parking brake style calipers are much more expensive and have an expensive core charge.

OP
OP
399strokerEB

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
This is the ruffstuff brackets, c***y calipers and f150 rotors. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/WELD35.html
On this setup you do lose your e-brake.

One thing I noticed with this setup is there is nothing to center the rotor on the axle or studs. So I had a buddy chuck my drums on a lathe and cut out the center to match the ID of the rotors.
IMAG0424_zpsr6px9zhf.jpg

IMAG0423_zpsal9cjlwd.jpg

I then placed on the axle reverse of how it would have been and tacked it in 4 spots.

OP
OP
399strokerEB

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Before you tack the bracket to the housing, have some way to hold pressure on the brakes to make sure the bracket isnt going to be at the end of the calipers movement. Once you have the bracket tacked make sure you can remove the caliper(ask me how I know) from the bracket without disassembling half your bronco.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
This is the ruffstuff brackets, c***y calipers and f150 rotors. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/WELD35.html
On this setup you do lose your e-brake.

One thing I noticed with this setup is there is nothing to center the rotor on the axle or studs. So I had a buddy chuck my drums on a lathe and cut out the center to match the ID of the rotors.
IMAG0424_zpsr6px9zhf.jpg

IMAG0423_zpsal9cjlwd.jpg

I then placed on the axle reverse of how it would have been and tacked it in 4 spots.

Keep in mind you "can" have an emergency brake with the correct calipers.

OP
OP
399strokerEB

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Well took it for a very short test drive today, I really hope I have air in my lines still or my MC died because my brakes suck!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Well took it for a very short test drive today, I really hope I have air in my lines still or my MC died because my brakes suck!

It would not be the first time I heard of a mc blowing its seals due to a hearty bleeding session of long strokes....

OP
OP
399strokerEB

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Confirmed the mc was bad, pulled it off the booster and noticed the back side was wet. I stuck my finger in the booster and there was about a 1/2" of fluid sitting in the bottom. Didnt even have to pay for the new one because it was under warranty!

OP
OP
399strokerEB

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Got the new mc on and very little improvement, I talked to a buddy who said I need to upgrade to a truck mc. I happened to have a raybestos 36399 mc sitting in my shed, anyone used this one?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Got the new mc on and very little improvement, I talked to a buddy who said I need to upgrade to a truck mc. I happened to have a raybestos 36399 mc sitting in my shed, anyone used this one?

If you want a cheap one that can move enough fluid for 4 calipers check out a manual brake mc for a '73/'74 F-250 camper special with dual piston calipers.
It has a big bore. Some say too big of a bore but it works great for me.
Best part is that it is only $17.99 at AutoZone.
The bale can be kind of tight against the fire wall to cowl connection. I just took the bale off and bent it a little. Worked out fine.
Great pedal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
399strokerEB

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Well the mc I had has the same bore as the factory one. I did notice when I pulled the factory one off I wasn't getting fluid out of the front reservoir. Got some more air out if it and the pedal feels better, but I'll know more when I take it for a test drive.