• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Seat, bolt holes and gas tank

miket

Loc.
Buckeye
Hey guys,

I am in the process of replacing my rear stock tank and noticed it had two holes punched in the top in the middle of each dimple. It looks like someone put bolts in from the top, where the rear seat sits that were too long and it punched holes. However, in looking at the rear seat that came with my Bronco (which appears to be original) the bolt pattern does not match up with the hole pattern in the floor and where the dimples in the tank are. so what goes there?

Oakland Bronco

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
A previous owner might have installed something under the rear seat, such as a storage drawer or amp, and drilled into the tank by accident. When the body shop took off my tub, they found three holes in the top of the tank...

OP
OP
M

miket

Loc.
Buckeye
A previous owner might have installed something under the rear seat, such as a storage drawer or amp, and drilled into the tank by accident. When the body shop took off my tub, they found three holes in the top of the tank...

I thought of that, but the holes in the tub are threaded...like factory...like the seat bolt holes. That threw me.

sarens

have my tub of the frame now, found lots of mystery holes, in 40 years and multiple P.O.'s you never know what you can find, I have looked at a couple of pretty original ones/survivor to get clues on what should and shouldn't be there, I'm not doing an original restoration but while I have it apart and prior to paint I want to fix anything I can, if you have anyone near you with original or there is a show coming up grab your camera, helped me a bunch as this is my first EB so I don't know what I'm supposed to see in some areas

BRONCOBERT

Yep! its not from the seat but from the seat belts where they bolt in behind the seat, seen this happen before.

astronot

Loc.
Llano, TX
You're lucky. My seat mounting and seat belt mounting holes are missing the threads. Thus 2 people required to uninstall and re-install.

OP
OP
M

miket

Loc.
Buckeye
Thanks Guys.....figured it was the seat belt holes.....threads are in primo condition however old gas tank is not.