• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rearend help **************

fire bronc

Loc.
iowa
Alright,the Question Is I Had The Rearend Rebuilt, New Gears, Trutrack,i Put The Thrid Member In The Housing Bolted Up,put My Drum Back Plates On And Slid The Axels In The Housing The Axel Went In Pretty Easy Got About Half The Bearing In The Housing,due To Me Painting The Housing And Paint Build Up I Had To Pound The Axel In With A Rubber Mallet The Rest Of The Way,got Axel In All The Way Tighten Down Bolts,and Tried To Turn Axel Without Tire On And I Cannot,i Tried To Turn By The Yoke And Can Just Barely Turn,there Is No Fluid In Yet But I Have Never Seen One This Tight To Turn (1)is This Because Of The Tru Trac (2) Is Something Not Set Right.i Had 4.30 Gears Put In,, Detroit Tru Trac You Could Spin Free With The Third Member Out. Help ****

Tapp Daddy

Loc.
Bonney Lake, WA
Unfortunately I'm no help either, but I'll be reassembling mine in the next few days so I'll be watching this thread closely. Good luck, God speed, and as always - use protection. ;D

Delta4WheelDrive

Loc.
Bakersfield
fire bronc said:
Alright,the Question Is I Had The Rearend Rebuilt, New Gears, Trutrack,i Put The Thrid Member In The Housing Bolted Up,put My Drum Back Plates On And Slid The Axels In The Housing The Axel Went In Pretty Easy Got About Half The Bearing In The Housing,due To Me Painting The Housing And Paint Build Up I Had To Pound The Axel In With A Rubber Mallet The Rest Of The Way,got Axel In All The Way Tighten Down Bolts,and Tried To Turn Axel Without Tire On And I Cannot,i Tried To Turn By The Yoke And Can Just Barely Turn,there Is No Fluid In Yet But I Have Never Seen One This Tight To Turn (1)is This Because Of The Tru Trac (2) Is Something Not Set Right.i Had 4.30 Gears Put In,, Detroit Tru Trac You Could Spin Free With The Third Member Out. Help ****

The problem is obviously not the third member. Make sure the bearings are all the way on the axle. Take the axles out and clean the bearing race and make sure the bearing is clean. The axle shoud not need a mallet to put it in.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
fire bronc said:
The Axel Went In Pretty Easy Got About Half The Bearing In The Housing,due To Me Painting The Housing And Paint Build Up I Had To Pound The Axel In With A Rubber Mallet The Rest Of The Way****

Did you get paint buildup inside the axle tubes?? You might want to clean the mating surfaces and make sure you didn't ruin the bearings when pounding them in.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I would pull out 1 axle at a time and try to see where the bind is. It should turn freely. Also try turning the yoke without the axles in. I had in a 3rd member that spun fine until bolted in the housing. Luckily I tried it before installing the axle shafts

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Sounds like the axle splines might be twisted a bit assuming all the bearings fit. I've tried to put a set of slightly twisted splines in my dad's racecar one time. They were just slightly twisted but damned near impossible to put back in.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not real sure but did you put the axles back in the side they came out of as they are slightly different lenghts and if the long one is put in the short side the end of the axle shaft may be hitting the internal gears of the tru trac and causing your bind. RH side axle should be longer than LH side axle.

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
broncnaz said:
Not real sure but did you put the axles back in the side they came out of as they are slightly different lenghts and if the long one is put in the short side the end of the axle shaft may be hitting the internal gears of the tru trac and causing your bind. RH side axle should be longer than LH side axle.

this was the first thing that came to mind! i couldn't have said it better myself.

OP
OP
F

fire bronc

Loc.
iowa
??

I Belive I Put The Right One In The Right Sides Short In Driver Side Long In Pass,the Only Thing Im Thinking Is That There Was To Much Paint In Axel Tube And The Little Bit I Had To Pound In Is Causing The Wheel Bearing To Bind. What Do Ya Think Any More Input,will Help.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I just finished building my 3rd mem. and altho everything was new and tight, I could still turn the axle by hand. I'm thinking something is binding up in the spline area or out near the bearing. clean offf all that paint and make sure the bearing is good. This should Not be hard to turn. Tight, Yes, because everything is new, but not impossible. if you were to run that, you'd burn up everything...

elemetal

Loc.
Oakland, CA
Tapered bearings or sealed rollers? Just curious. I think a taper might bind with too much pressure (back off the nuts on the bolt plate and see if it helps), a roller might get damaged from the same hammering and squeezing.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Use the process of elimination to help you find the problem.

1. How does the third member turn out of the housing ?
2. Are the third member gears set up correct ?
3. Does it turn just as easy installed ?
4. Install (1) axle at a time and check for bind.

Just an obsevation nobody has mentioned /
There are some rotational friction loads going on in the rear end. It is very possible that just trying to turn the pinion yoke or axle by hand "feels" like it is binding due to the force needed to turn all components. You can see where I'm going with this. It is possible that nothing is wrong with your installation. Try installing a wheel / Tire and see how this "feels". Believe it or not, gear oil does offer less friction from dry surfaces.

Without being there -- its real hard to offer any more advise. If you still are not satisfied with how it "feels" or operates, I would suggest hauling it to your local driveline shop and have someone give you a profesional opinion. Better to spend a couple bucks to make sure your OK rather than burn up a new rear end.

Last edited:

green50gt

Loc.
Goshen, IN
I didn't catch it you put it together yourself, or if somebody else did it? I just assembled mine on mine own.

Did you set the proper backlash on the carrier? To my understanding, the proper setting is 800 thousands of an inch. if it is any lower than that, it will be really hard to turn in the third memeber.

The backlash might be right, however it is possible those adjustment deals on each side of the carrier might be too tight. If it had brand new bearings, you would want it a smidge tight and it will loosen up a bit after the bearings get broke in.

One other thing I did not notice, was did you put the drum back on? I put my drums back on, I had to beat them back on, and after that, i could not turn the axle very easily.

My guess is your problem is between the carrier and the brakes.

Good luck