• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilt Gauge Cluster w/ pic

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had no idea how much I was going to like this. It was a pretty easy job especial because I had a spare cluster and had it ready to go so it was a swap.

Guess what, I found more Previous owner stupidity in there. He had had this one apart before and the gasket was not right and the tubes for the lights were in wrong. He also used a marker to cover up the unleaded fuel only markings. What a maroon!

Anyhow the change out was fairly simple as there are only a few wires and light bulbs. I removed the bolt for the e-brake pedal and it slid over to help out a bunch. I managed to do it and not scratch up my new paint job on the cluster. The bright needles and the clean glass made my day. Oh yeah, new LED's from Chuck didn't suck either! ;D

The wife even thought it looked good and showed interest!

Jeff in AZ

PS, the numbers actually do line up nice, I just had to take the picture from an angle to not get the steering wheel in it.

Attachments

• new gauge cluster.jpg
    new gauge cluster.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 108
OP
OP
airman

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tgure said:
Looks Snazzy ;D

I still have the orange paint if you need to do yours. I have an extra cluster too. We need to get you on the road man!

Jeff

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
airman said:
I still have the orange paint if you need to do yours. I have an extra cluster too. We need to get you on the road man!

Jeff

haha thanks I won't be using any stock gauges in mine. I just sold my cluster and my Centech harness on Ebay so I could get a Ron Francis kit instead. I have my tub completely stripped now in preperation for the sandblaster but holy cow it has cancer bad. :eek:

OP
OP
airman

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
brian72 said:
you just paint your needle or get a new one?
Basically, I painted all of the needle with a brush and bright orange paint from the craft store. I then really cleaned the glass up. I cleaned all of the metal real good on the outside. I removed the colored paper taped inside for turn signal and high beam (I knew I was using the colored LED's). I painted the outer cover semi-flat black with a rattle can. I drw a picture of the back of the cluster for wire placement. I let the old cluster loose in the dash and looked at the wiring and wrote down colors. removed wires and pulled out old cluster and re-installed the rebuilt one. I would say I have 2 hours into the job including the painting and resetting the OD to 00000.0.

Jeff in AZ

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
Anyone have a spare outer surround (the part that holds the glass and sticks out proud of the dash) they'd like to part with?