• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Redneck Ram Connection Help

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi,

I thought it would be easy to get an answer from West Texas Off-Road about the porting on the power steering box they rebuilt for me. I had them install the fittings in the housing for ram assist steering. I'm getting reading to add the ram.

My emails to them this morning didn't give me the detail I was hoping to receive.

I was told that the top connection on the box should be hosed to the fixed end of the ram. They didn't say which end of the ram was fixed (either to the track bar bracket/frame on the passenger side or diff cover or axle on the driver side). I asked how the ram was set up and all I was told was that every installation is different and that I can swap the hoses if they are attached wrong the first time. Kind of a disappointing answer.

If anyone has one of their reworked boxes, can you tell me how you have the connections made on the box and cylinder?

I know that the hoses can be swapped; but, I going to have different fittings on the hoses because of interference. I'd like to do it right the first time.

Thanks,

Jeff

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would still leave one end disconnected for the first startup. Even after asking I still had mine reversed. Shouldn't be a big deal to swap the hoses if necessary, just check it and get them right before you secure them in place.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
the cylinder is a double acting cylinder. which means power in each direction. whereas a single acting cylinder that would have power out and spring return in.

So it doesn't matter which end of the cylinder is staionary. Whatever fits in your situation.

All you need is for it to move left and move right in the direction that coincides with your steering wheel turn.

The cylinder moves in the opposite direction of the port being powered. For example, if you hold the cylinder in a vertical position, the port on the bottom will make it go up and the port on top will make it go down.

So hook up both hoses to the box. Get yourself two milk jugs. Put enough fluid in each to cover the tip of the hose. Put one hose in each jug. then turn the steering wheel left. Which jug gets the fluid? That is your left port. The opposite is your right port.

So hook up the hoses so that you power the left turn orientation with the left turn hose. and the right turn with the right turn hose.

That is why they say each vehicle is different. Depending on the install.

Label your hoses or take a metal stamp on stamp the box at the outlets with an L and a R.

Then it will be easy next time you disconnect them.

I have the Redneck Ram myself as well.

Here is a kicker for you....if you have rear steer on your rig, you would criss cross them and get them to tun in the opposite direction to get tighter turning.
Makes freeway lane changes real fun!

Or hook them up the same direction and change lanes faster.

Sorry, I didn't intend to confuse the matter. I was just being funny.

Honda actually had a 4 wheel steer setup that depended on speed. That was a cool little car.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Hi,

I thought it would be easy to get an answer from West Texas Off-Road about the porting on the power steering box they rebuilt for me. I had them install the fittings in the housing for ram assist steering. I'm getting reading to add the ram.

My emails to them this morning didn't give me the detail I was hoping to receive.

I was told that the top connection on the box should be hosed to the fixed end of the ram. They didn't say which end of the ram was fixed (either to the track bar bracket/frame on the passenger side or diff cover or axle on the driver side). I asked how the ram was set up and all I was told was that every installation is different and that I can swap the hoses if they are attached wrong the first time. Kind of a disappointing answer.

If anyone has one of their reworked boxes, can you tell me how you have the connections made on the box and cylinder?

I know that the hoses can be swapped; but, I going to have different fittings on the hoses because of interference. I'd like to do it right the first time.

Thanks,

Jeff

They gave you all the info you need. How you set up the ram assist is up to you. Most mount the stationary end of the ram to the bar area--this way the ram is somewhat stationary and the hoses are not rubbing back and forth during turns. Some mount off the diff cover to the arm. I had to mount mine in reverse due to interference--fixed ram mount to track bar riser.

However you mount the ram, follow their directions on fixed vs. moving ends of ram for hookups.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi,

They gave you all the info you need.

No they didn't. They drilled and tapped the box and installed two fittings with caps. I merely want to know which connection is passing fluid when wheels turn driver and which passes fluid when wheels turn passenger. It's not rocket science, and it doesn't change from box to box on the EB setups.

I get the whole trial and error deal, as well as the variations in mounting the ram. I'll be running one straight and on 45 degree fitting on the hoses at the box. I know that I can remove and reinstall the fittings on the hoses... I'm just trying to work smarter.

Jeff

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Well,
What I explained is not trial and error. It is discovery.

And the thing about them giving you all the info you need is correct. They have no way of knowing what or how you are going to install.

If your steering is behind your axle, it would not flow the same as if your steering is in front of the axle. And on some rigs, to prevent damage from obstacles, the steering is behind.

Now, hooking it up incorrectly is trial and error. Doing it my way gives you specific information. That is what you asked for.

You could always return the kit and tell them why.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

Not trying to debate the issue. This is a stock Bronco box in the stock location with steering in the stock (front of axle) location.

Although I haven't found anything Bronco specific, the common theme of the writeups that I have read indicates that the fitting that lines up with the centerline of the spool should be pressurized when turning left and the fitting below it should be pressurized when turning right. That's all I was looking for. I'm still not sure it's 100%; but, I'm hoping it's a good start.

Your way sounds like a great way to work. I appreciate the time you took to explain it. I'll give it a try now that I have a good starting point.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
I wasn't trying to debate. I was trying to be clear.

I considered the fact that it could be a stock bronco box. But then so many times what we think we have turns out to not be that. Even people ordering parts from Wild Horses thinking they were getting Bronco boxes, I hear, turns out to be Nissan boxes.
So rather than try to imagine all the possible ways your truck might or might not have stock, aftermarket, reproduction or modified Ford box or even modified OTHER brands, I played it safe with the milk jug method.

If you find out that you are right about the ports, then no harm no foul. If you find out you were wrong, still no harm no foul. Just frustrating.

if you never change anything down the road, it will stay that way. But who never modifies their bronco? Lol

C Saporito

The trial and error thing may be a easy enough but I agree that labeling which port has pressure at which direction would be very helpful. If you are having hoses made, knowing exact length and which way to clock angle fittings makes a much cleaner look. I was irritated also, you shouldn't have to search for this info, they obviously know how each box works.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

I should apologize for a couple of my posts. It was just hard to believe that no one knew the answer. Once I know for certain, I will post it to this thread. Maybe it will help someone else in the future.

I'm going to plumb it up the way I think it should be and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Jeff

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

I should apologize for a couple of my posts. It was just hard to believe that no one knew the answer. Once I know for certain, I will post it to this thread. Maybe it will help someone else in the future.

I'm going to plumb it up the way I think it should be and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Jeff

If you mounted your ram I can tell you, BUT, with many locations, up/down/on the left/right any information someone gives you may be wrong because you mounted the ram different then someone else did.
The answer west Texas gave is correct, the fixed end of the ram is the end that does not extend.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

If you mounted your ram I can tell you, BUT, with many locations, up/down/on the left/right any information someone gives you may be wrong because you mounted the ram different then someone else did.
The answer west Texas gave is correct, the fixed end of the ram is the end that does not extend.

I should let this go; but, I'm hoping that this helps someone in the future.

The ram has nothing to do with the question that's being asked. There are two connections on the steering box. One will flow fluid when the wheel is turned right, the other will flow fluid when the wheel is turned left. That's all an installer needs to know. Once he knows that information, and once he mounts the ram, he'll know which end of the ram needs to be plumbed to each connection on the box.

I agree that the ram can be installed differently on different projects. Looking at the mounted ram an installer will know if the fixed end needs pressure to turn the wheels left, or if the rod end needs the pressure. He'll plumb it accordingly.

Jeff

mark s

I am using the stock steering box ported by Redneck. The fixed end of the ram is mounted to my track bar riser.
The lower port on the box goes to the port closest to the fixed end of ram.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Mark,

I am using the stock steering box ported by Redneck. The fixed end of the ram is mounted to my track bar riser.

Thanks.

That's different than what I would have expected; but, it's good knowing that you have the same box, and that it's plumbed that way.

Take Care,

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
HI Mark,

I finally finished the ram-assist install today.

You were correct. The lower port on the box went to the fixed ram end installed off of the track bar bracket.

Although the connection to the steering box can't be seen, I have attached a few pictures of the bracket I fabricated for attachment on the track bar bracket, and some pics of the installed ram.

I'm sure there are a lot of different ways of installing the ram and the hoses that run to it. If anyone sees anything incorrect, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_4814 1024x768.JPG
    IMG_4814 1024x768.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4815 1024x768.JPG
    IMG_4815 1024x768.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4816 1024x768.JPG
    IMG_4816 1024x768.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 39