• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

refinishing roll cage and PreRunner Front Bumper. Need Help!

acarlotto

Loc.
Charlotte
I just bought a 1973 Bronco and the PreRunner Front Bumper and Roll cage has rust on it. I want to refinish it myself without all the expense of having to powdercoat it or have someone else do it. What is the best way to prep? What type of paint should I use? What is the most durable and has the best look. I want it to look good and not like a half assed job. Thanks for the help in advance!!

fireman585

Loc.
delphi
Take the parts and have them sandblasted to get rid of paint and any rust you might have. Then you sand them down with 180 paper to smooth out the surface and prime and paint. Where i work we use imron industrial paint it's a good durable paint. Thats how i fished some parts on my ride.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Remove the old paint, easiest way is paint stripper, then after it bubbles off use a red scuff pad and laquer thinner. Then I would follow the steps for POR15. Spraying it on would be easiest and follow up useing their top coat. I used Rustoleum as the top coat on my H1 rims and it didn't react to the POR15. Easy way to do touchups this way.

If you want it automotive paint. Sand it down with 320, wipe metal prep on the rusty areas, etch primer, sealer (or epoxy primer mixed as a sealer instead of etch) then paint. There's no need to sand the primer this way, You just wait till each coat has flased off.