• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

registering as an Antique

6bronco6

What are the restrictions when registering as an antique? yearly mileage? Do i need an emergency brake if i register as an antique? comments anyone?

OP
OP

6bronco6

Just trying to get aroumd my emergency brake dilema jeepster...lol. Can you tell im getting desperate? Right now my rig isn't registered or insured, so i need to do that, so i can drive it to a shop to get fixed.
What are the pros and cons of registering as an antique?

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Around here, (NY) when you want to put a vehicle on the road, you go and get a insurance card from your agent,register at dmv same day. The clerk will give you a temperary inspection sticker good for 10 days.
As far as antique vehicles i believe so many miles(maintance trips) with a appraisal.

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
WOW we have it easy. When I got my rig together all I did was take the title down to the local Direct Express Tag and Title. They are a small outside MVA corp. that does the waiting in line for you. I handed them the title. They filled it out for me. They asked what kind of tags. historic, or hot rod. Since I am not a hot rod I went historic. The next day I go back and pick them up. They charge like $20 more to do the work for you. I think it is well worth it. Other wise you can wait up to 2+ hours at the local MVA.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
i always thought antique (at lesat in in FL) is done by age.
it used to be 25 years (they took my old one back), but in 2007 mine will once again be an "antique" ;)

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
yep. antiques are limited to about 3000 miles a year. new york has a dmv site with all the info. maybe theres one for where ever you happen to be.

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
are you in new york? im headed to the dmv tomorrow to register my new bronco and i can find out, but they do try to discourage people from registering their real drivers as antiques

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Well there is two choices in Va., Vintage and Antique

Vintage, Fees and Taxes Inspection unlimited driving (Must be older than 25 years) :p

Antique, No Fees or Taxes No inspection required and 250 miles per year(yea right)restriction%) (must be older than 30 years)

Of course I chose wisely- :cool:

tejayandtina

Go to the DMV site URL=http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/cpl8faqs.htm]HERE[/URL] I navigated to the PDF registration forms. Read MV-440 (both). There are restrictions, however I see a loop hole! Guess what it is!

1970WagonKY

Loc.
Winchester, KY
Kentucky Antique

In KY you pay a one time $90 fee. You make no other trips to DMV, but you must use the vechicle for "car show, parades, etc"

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
6bronco6 said:
What are the restrictions when registering as an antique? yearly mileage? Do i need an emergency brake if i register as an antique? comments anyone?

Now you are really grabbing!! I can think of 2 reasons you should fix the brakes.

This is a critical safety item. You can short cut a lot of things but brakes are not one of them. Fix them once and be done with it.

This is a mandatory item to register a vehicle up here. You MUST have a seperate and mechanical secondary braking system for registration. I am sure most States have a similar law.

FIX the Brakes!!! you will be glad you did.

As to the classic/antique/regular plates.

Alberta rules

Standard registration is that, just like your regular car. no restrictions.
Classic registration, same as above but 18 years or older.
Antique registration, older than 28 years (I believe) no mileage restriction same as regular. Allows you to register the car to a licence plate of the year of the build of the vehicle is the abnormality (read, big bucks to do it)
There is another, vanity plate, but that is another different can of worms.

Fix the brakes!!

TOFIC

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Re: Kentucky Antique

1970WagonKY said:
In KY you pay a one time $90 fee. You make no other trips to DMV, but you must use the vechicle for "car show, parades, etc"
Washington is the same way. Collector plates are good forever. Driving is limited to those mentioned and for the occasional Sunday drive. Not aware of any mileage restrictions though.

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
I thought about historical plates for mine...The lady at the counter asked if I wanted them, and I said no, cause I want to be able to drive it when I want, and not just for shows, or parades...She tells me that I have to drive it some, and that they never check milage...There main concern is, your not using it as a daily driver, or leaving it in the parking lot at work...Here in Ohio, it cost 17.00 for historical plates, and they are good for 49 years, no appraisal needed...I've seen guys with rotted bettles with historical plates, and least 2 times a week, just riding around...

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I had the choice here in Montana of going with the vintage $10 plate or the higher cost permanent one for older vehicles. I decided it wasnt worth the hassle the cops give you with the vintage which is suppose to be for parades only and sunday drives and went with the permanent one. Depends which county you live in what the permanent costs.

yak67

Bronco Guru
Re: Re: Kentucky Antique

SaddleUp said:
Washington is the same way. Collector plates are good forever. Driving is limited to those mentioned and for the occasional Sunday drive. Not aware of any mileage restrictions though.

I just registered and got the plates for mine, the Wash. D.O.L. site said "can't be used as regular transportation", and can be used for "pleasure" no mileage restrictions. Never will pay liscence fees again..... ;D ;D