• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing '77 Ranger original stripes?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am contemplating th restoration of my '77 Ranger. I was going to try and remove the 26+ year old original Ranger stripes so the body guy can do his thing. He said if I removed the stripes he'd give me a better deal. How can I get these things off? Any hints or half-way easy way.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
A autobody supply store has woodgrain and decal remover in a spray can. The heat gun works good like ken75 said, but the spray works pretty well too.

kxbronco

Loc.
Knoxville, TN
I used what looks like a round eraser that I got at the auto paint store. I attaches to an air wrench and basically erases the stripe. It took me about 3 hours to erase a stripe from my 77 sport. It will take some paint off if your not careful.

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
Are you going to do any blasting on it?? THAT would take the stripes off!! I do sandblasting as a sideline, and have been using an ultra-fine sand from DuPont that leaves an awesome finish, you don't even really have to sand it. I don't know that I wouldn't have a little blasting done on it here & there (QP seam, tailgate, door jams; hard to sand areas) Just my .02!

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Use a heat gun, and control the heat carefully. The "eraser" works good, but can damage the paint if not careful. Not sure how old your paint is ... but be aware that the paint underneath the decals has been protected from UV fading and will look different than the surrounding paint. It can be buffed, but may not give you the end result you want.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the tips. I'll try the heat first.

Blue71

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
I took the original '74 Ranger stripes off my wife's with aircraft stripper. Nasty, yet effective product.