• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

removing body mounts/auto-tcase adapter bolts

4x4Alaska

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
I have the body bolts out and cut the front clip off this weekend, now how do the mounts come out? Do they have to be cut off? Also, I pulled an auto setup out of a 74 this weekend and once I unbolt the crossmember that attaches to the adapter, how to these bolts come out? I was expecting them to just slide right out....doesn't seem to be the case ?:?

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
My mounts just came out with the body coming off, if that's what you are doing? Body off? Or are you just putting new BL lift in? If so, they should still slide right out with a little upward pressure on the body.

OP
OP
4x4Alaska

4x4Alaska

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
I am taking the body off...none of my mounts want to come right out :mad: and the adapter bolts won't even come out of the mounts!

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The apadter bolts have a roled steel bushing that fits the bolt just like on the track bar bushings. When I removed my t-case it took me over a week to get the last t-case mounting bolt out soaking and pounding and I finally got it with a sawzall. The bolt and the bushing become one. If you have a hole in the tunnel cover like for twin stick you can get to that one. Keep spraying and keep pounding!

Jeff in AZ

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
4x4Alaska, If I understand you correctly, you have taken the front clip off, and the body mounts are still on the frame.
Over the years they got stuck their with the constant pressure applied by the bolt. Take a chisel and tap between the frame and the rubber.
I cut mine off with a grinder - right through the rubber and through the metal sleeve. Be careful not to cut into the frame piece!