• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing D44 Spider gears?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Now that I've just about destroyed my carrier, how the world, do I get the roll pin out to remove the spider gears? I tried to drive it out with a screwdriver, which I broke off in the hole, after drilling hammering and breaking 2 more screwdrivers and 4 drill bits it the pin started to come out and now it's stuck again. I'm honestly ready to go after it with a sawzall next, but though I'd try a calmer approach. So what's the fix?

getfuzzy

Just took mine apart tonight. i had to drive from one side and turn it over and drive it from the other side and back to the other side and back and forth a few times to get it out. take your time and try to get a punch just smaller than the hole. good luck

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 on a punch. Sometimes using other tools only makes things worse as you've found out. Roll pins are usually spring steel so drills tend to snap real easy and screw drivers only deform them.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Well,, the one punch I have is too big for the hole. I have to make a run to the machine shop today anyways, I guess I'll bring it in with my tail between my legs and see if they can get it out...