• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing my hardtop this weekend?

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
I've been reading through the archieves and have a question about the rear posts. Are these welded in on all years or did Ford make any EB's with ones that unbolt?

powersfab

Loc.
West Michigan
The top on my 71 the posts un-bolted.
i took them off completly and filled the pockets on the fender.
Now the top still fits fine and the fenders look better.
Topless is best !!

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
They unbolt. There are I think four bolts on each post. Unbolt the ones from the truck itself, and lift very high and leave them on the top.

Green manalishi

Loc.
Murrieta, Ca.
They are bolted in on top and on bottom. The top bolts are next to the side of the liftgate, and the bottom are in the tub rear corners. These are fairly easy to take out if not rusty. Just make sure you have help lifting the top! at least 2 guys. I have done it by myself but that top heavy and awkward.

OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
evil69 said:
They unbolt. There are I think four bolts on each post. Unbolt the ones from the truck itself, and lift very high and leave them on the top.

I was just thinking if they unbolt it would be easier to unbolt them so I can just slide the top back. That way I would have to worry about clearing them when I pull it off.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
I don't think you can move them up or down enough to clear. It sucks, but it is good if the other 267 bolts ever loosen on the highway.

OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Also I forgot to say, thanks for the help!

I can't wait to get it off, it's been in the 80's to 90's here in the Northwest. It will be the first time the top has ever been off.

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
I would unbolt them from the bed.

Unbolt the rest of the top.

Slip two 2x4s between the bed rails and roof, across the bed, one near the front and one near the rear.

Lag bolt the roofs to the 2x4 (using the exsisting holes or drilling new ones), this provides handles when carrying the roof.

This allows you to pick the roof up, so the stakes clear the bed, and slide back.

Two guys then can grab the 2x4 handles and carry it away.

I hope this made sence........

vap13

Yea, Fathom has the right idea. I have done this myself. you have to get up about six inches or so,, (the top) in order for the posts to clear the bed.
Paul

OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
I was able to get the top off with a couple of 2x4's and ratcheting tie downs (by myself). Like SeaBiscuit68 said the nice thing about a '68 is the rear posts are much shorter than some of the other years. Here's a picture of the hard top hanging from the ceiling, worked great. Thanks to everyone replies.

Attachments

• mvc-002f.jpg
    mvc-002f.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 139
OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Here's a picture of it for the first time ever with the top off. Topless is the only way to go!!! Love'n it:) ;D :cool:

Attachments

• resize of dscf0069.jpg
    resize of dscf0069.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 125

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Dam those are tiny little eyes coming out of the drywall and holding all that weight. You don't mind having that top mounted on the fenders, hood and ws Frame?
I am scared for you:'(

OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
feitctaj said:
Dam those are tiny little eyes coming out of the drywall and holding all that weight. You don't mind having that top mounted on the fenders, hood and ws Frame?
I am scared for you:'(

I know they do look small from the angle in the picture, but they do have the weight spread across all four points with the 2x4's. I do plan on adding one more 2x4 and anchoring it so I will have six locations. Does anyone know the actual weight of the hard top? I figure it can't be much more the 400lbs, please correct me if I'm wrong. So, with six points the load would be less than 65lbs per point. I weight 225lbs and hung from one of the eye bolts without any problem.

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Bronco Sport said:
.......I weight 225lbs and hung from one of the eye bolts without any problem.

Sound Kinky!

and a little to much information and now I'm scared!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Fathom said:
Sound Kinky!

and a little to much information and now I scared!

Hee..hee...
Yeah when you look at it that way, SICK!!:)

I'm an engineer by trade and some times you just need to test things out for your self.;D %)

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Bronco Sport said:
I know they do look small from the angle in the picture, but they do have the weight spread across all four points with the 2x4's. I do plan on adding one more 2x4 and anchoring it so I will have six locations. Does anyone know the actual weight of the hard top? I figure it can't be much more the 400lbs, please correct me if I'm wrong. So, with six points the load would be less than 65lbs per point. I weight 225lbs and hung from one of the eye bolts without any problem.
I think you may be OK, they just look tiny and I be an overkill guy;)