• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing Old Switches.. Please Help

csmith441

Loc.
Edmond, OK
I have the original switches in my 72 EB. I replaced my wiper motor and once it got all hooked up it would not work.

I checked the switch and the back was separated from the metal front that has the stem and knob.

How do you get the black switch piece off the wiring harness? It will not budge. Are there special pliers that separate them? The thing is kicking my butt....

Any help would be appreciated....

Chris

bteutsch

I had the same problem recently. I just used a screwdriver to gently seperate the two pieces.. I totally destroyed the factory wiper switch trying to unplug it from the harness.. It was on there really good.. It finally came apart by prying around the edges until it finally came apart. I just used this opportunity to go to my local junk yard and pulled a delay setup and now I have a working switch with delay... Cost under $10.00

OP
OP
C

csmith441

Loc.
Edmond, OK
Thanks bteutsch,

That is what I started doing but it was destroying both the harness and switch.

What years are best to find the delay setup that will fit the EBs?

bteutsch

I got mine from an 80's f-150.. 70's, 80s and 90s broncos and trucks are useable ..If you go looking look at the switch if it is shaped like the ones in your EB, it will work.. If its on the column it won't. That being said, if it has the post type switch like in our EB's turn the switch backwards if rotates backwards it is the delay switch.. Then look under the dash, there will be a harness attached to the switch, on that harness will be a black box. That's the delay governor. Just unplug the governor end from the vehicle harness, and take the rest. Usually the harness end connected to the wiper switch is red, the end that runs from the governor box is black. The black end will plug right into the EB harness. Depending on the year of the delay switch you may have to move one wire over to match the EB harness. I think it's a black wire/white stripe. I can verify this for you when I get home, it's the washer motor wire for when you push down on the wiper switch. Everything else should be just plug in. If you move the wire all you have to do is squeeze the little prong and back it out of the plug, then spread it a little and out in back where it needs to go. You will need to cut about 1/4 off of the shaft and I also backed spaced the switch with a couple of washers to keek the threaded part if the switch from sticking through the dash too far.

bteutsch

If you tear up your factory plug you probably could back the wires out of it and reuse one from the junkyard.. Most of the ford harnesses used that same wiper plug for 20 or more years..

bteutsch

lol probably right about the write up. Especially since I did it with my iphone.