• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing pass fender and cowl mod questions

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
(I'm always planning ahead)

In the near future I want to do the mod that flattens the cowl and gets rid of the air inlet on the passenger side. Here are my questions.

1. Who has done it and do you have pictures of the process?

2. How hard is it to remove JUST the passenger fender to get to it? How hard is it to get back on without trashing it?

3. Are you pleased with the mod?

Thanks - Jim

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
2. How hard is it to remove JUST the passenger fender to get to it? How hard is it to get back on without trashing it?

Sometimes it's easier to take the entire front clip off. The bolts holding the fender to the grill are a real bear to get at, and if they're rusty you risk snapping the clip-nut and it just spins. Not hard to do. Maybe 8 bolts on each fender top, 3-4 connecting each fender to the core support, and 3 screws on each fender connecting them to the door hinge post. 2-3 on each fender connecting support brackets at the bottom of each fender. Unplug the wires for the lights and antenna and it slides off in one piece. In fact, you can just slide it forward without taking it off.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
It all depends on the last time the fenders were taken off. Separating the grill and the fender is the hardest part. if you have no need to separate the fender and the grill for other repairs then I would not separate them. I would remove both fenders and grill as one unit. you need help to do this and a large space to store it. Take a look at your inner fenders where the overlap is at the cowl. normally a rusty Bronco need this overlap repaired on both sides anyway so the fenders have to come off anyway. If you must remove the fender from the grill soak all the bolts especially on the backside of the bolts and prepare for a fight if the bolts have never been removed and are rusty. The bolts and nut clips holding the grill and fender together are problematic as the nut is welded to the clip and rusted up the bolt breaks the nut out. Get yourself a pair of needle nose vise grips to grab the nut if it breaks free and spins.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I am in the middle of a cowl modification that I am using to help with the install of AC in my Bronco. It wasn't hard but I don't think it is done yet with the modification. My AC install on my Bronco presented an issue with the location of the blower motor and the original air intake on my Bronco, essentially requiring me to enlarge the opening to 10 inches in diameter. Not sure if I wanted to permanently "box it in" or find a way to get fresh air for the blower, I decided to try different "caps" for the opening that would allow for air flow. I found an HVAC 10" cap that fit the hole and I quickly attached it with brackets and rivets while I evaluated the idea, it is still a work in progress from that aspect.
Additionally, I am going to run wiring to the passenger side of the engine compartment along the outside of the inner fender skirt and back out near the battery

Attachments

• AC1.jpg
    AC1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 78
  • AC2.jpg
    AC2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 82
  • AC3.jpg
    AC3.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 80
  • AC4.jpg
    AC4.jpg