• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Repainting Sport Emblems

vincentvega

Loc.
Birmingham, AL
I've searched around on the forum but I'm having trouble locating any tips on refreshing the faded red paint on my sport emblems. I remember seeing it done in a build thread awhile back but can't locate it now. I think I remember that the horse comes off which just leaves how to get the red down in all the small grooves with out getting it all over the chrome.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Womens nail polish works quite well for this task. DO NOT go to your wifes stash!!!!! Get your own and save yourself a lecture etc etc etc. Ask me how I know ;D

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Womens nail polish works quite well for this task. DO NOT go to your wifes stash!!!!! Get your own and save yourself a lecture etc etc etc. Ask me how I know ;D

SO you have your own now? ;D

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The emblems on mine were faded pretty good, but were not chipped,so sprayed them with some Armor-All. I don't really know if it's a good thing to use on painted surfaces but it sure brought back alot of color. So far it hasn't effected the paint and it can be reapplied as needed.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
After you clean the old paint up and throroughly tape off everything else you can use single stage with hardner only and 'inject' the paint in with a small syringe. Do it with the emblem laying perfectly flat and it'll dry to a mirror finish. NOTE: I have not actually done this myself, but I've seen it done in person a few times it works really well. I suppose it would work with base/clear but I'm not 100% positive.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I got tired of messing with the cheesy plastic inserts in the front letters and just went to paint I use Duplicolor GM 510. I would think the same color would work for Sport emblems. Just prep real good and be careful. It's best on a flat surface.

Attachments

• nolans 30th 002.jpg
    nolans 30th 002.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 49

stock74

I painted the emblems on my bronco a few years ago. If I remember correctly I used a combination of toothpicks, small dental picks and exactly blades to remove the old paint. Just be careful not to scratch or gouge the emblem. I found some paint at a hobby store. I believe the paint was some type of acrylic paint which came in a small square glass bottle. It was relatively inexpensive (a few dollars), has been holding up well and is a pretty close match to the original paint. I used a really small brush and carefully painted the emblem. The paint leveled out so there are no brush strokes and make sure the painted surface it level when you paint it and while it is drying.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Or you could not paint them at all. I removed the paint from mine and polished them. I don't have a great photo of it but you can kinda see it here.

Attachments

• IMG_2810-1.jpg
    IMG_2810-1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 53

willtel

I repainted mine a few times, you may have seen it here, http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98590.

The rivets in the back are easy to drill, only drill as mush as you need to to get them loose. Once the horses are out of the way mask off the outer edges of the frame and the top of the B, trim it close with a fresh razor or Xacto but don't worry about the sport letters. Paint it with a light coat of color.

Repainting Emblems by willtel, on Flickr

Once you unmask it you can take care of the letters and any bleeding around the edges. At this stage the paint should still be tacky, don't wait until it cures.

IMG_2819 by willtel, on Flickr

Clean up the edges and the raised part of the letters with a cotton swab with some thinner on it. Go slow and don't use too much thinner, if it pools up anywhere on the paint it can cloud the finish. Once you have everything clean put the horse back on. I just filled the hole left by the rivet with some gel super glue. (I think these horses would make cool key-chains)

Bronco Sport Emblem by willtel, on Flickr

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I repainted mine a few times, you may have seen it here, http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98590.

The rivets in the back are easy to drill, only drill as mush as you need to to get them loose. Once the horses are out of the way mask off the outer edges of the frame and the top of the B, trim it close with a fresh razor or Xacto but don't worry about the sport letters. Paint it with a light coat of color.

Repainting Emblems by willtel, on Flickr

Once you unmask it you can take care of the letters and any bleeding around the edges. At this stage the paint should still be tacky, don't wait until it cures.

IMG_2819 by willtel, on Flickr

Clean up the edges and the raised part of the letters with a cotton swab with some thinner on it. Go slow and don't use too much thinner, if it pools up anywhere on the paint it can cloud the finish. Once you have everything clean put the horse back on. I just filled the hole left by the rivet with some gel super glue. (I think these horses would make cool key-chains)

Bronco Sport Emblem by willtel, on Flickr

i did mine similar to that only yellow to match: http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/19271/size/big/cat//ppuser/22157