• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Repairing cracked original dash pad?

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Have any of you ever repaired an original dash pad that is cracked? I'm going to have the dash pad recovered, but I want to repair a couple of cracks first. What did you use to fill the crack(s) with?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
this is something I have wanted to do too and you reminded
Did a quick google search they make padded dash filler
I might try that

jmhend

Bronco Guru
This crossed my mind. Maybe I'll just take it to them and see what they think.
Have them give you a quote. Worst thing is you walk best is they get the business..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
Got mine done at the upholstery shop, they matched the thread to my paint color

Attachments

• IMG_20191226_145021497.jpg
    IMG_20191226_145021497.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 110

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I patched a couple cracks in a pad off another bronco I had several years ago with black liquid tape. Didn't look bad at all.

BTW they were not major cracks or open gouges!

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
It is an altimeter.... My uncle mounted it after he bought the truck in 69. He lived in Colorado and bounced around the 4 corner states. Went up and over the Rockies a lot. I kept it along with the peace sign hand blown shift knob that is on the pto

jmhend

Bronco Guru
It is an altimeter.... My uncle mounted it after he bought the truck in 69. He lived in Colorado and bounced around the 4 corner states. Went up and over the Rockies a lot. I kept it along with the peace sign hand blown shift knob that is on the pto
Awesome

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Got mine done at the upholstery shop, they matched the thread to my paint color

That looks great! That is what I want to do to mine. Did the upholstery shop have do to any repairs to it first? Or was your pad in good shape to begin with?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When my dash pad went kaput 30 years ago i used a product called coverlay which is an abs molded product. you cleaned what you have fill the cracks with silicone. trimed off high spots and then add more silicone to glue the cover down made a nice clean dash pad again and lasted over 20 years before it finally cracked. Made the dash nice but not origional. I finally replaced it with a new dash pad in green color from Melissa at Bronco Hut. But she isnt there any more.