• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing the ZF transmission drain/fill plug

bfluegel

Contributor
Apparently there are different styles of these plugs and mine are different from what I've seen posted. Some sources show a plug much like what is found on an oil pan: a straight-threaded bolt with a sealing washer. This only makes sense on a port that has a machined sealing surface. The surface around my ports is just the casting, so a gasket won't help. Other people show a set-screw type plug with an oring groove. Again, this is of no use without some surface for the oring to contact. What I have is a tapered set-screw plug, with a 10-mm square socket, much like the rear differential housing plug. No gasket.
Drain plug:
Drain plug small.jpg
Fill port:
Fill port small.jpg

Why replace it? Because too many people using a 3/8" socket drive tip have buggered out the plug's socket. This became a real problem when my plugs seized up. Getting the correct 10-mm square socket and using a lot of patience succeeded in removing them.
The thread pitch is clearly 1.5 mm, but identifying the diameter isn't simple because of the taper. Also, the metric taper is a small angle that is difficult to see in photographs. Most web sellers can't be bothered to state whether their metric "pipe plug" is tapered and the first ones I bought were not. The exception I have found is these guys:
www.jwwinco.com
Their site explains that DIN906 is a standard for tapered plugs. I ordered a few sizes and 906-ST-M24X1.5-A fit nicely. I put some anti-seize on this time! It has a 12-mm hex socket instead of 10-mm square, but this looks to be stronger and a hex socket tool is readily available for a 1/2" breaker bar.
Original (left) and replacement (right) plugs:
Original (left) and replacement (right) plugs small.jpg