• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Resistor wire removal help!

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Finally getting around to replacing the resistor wire to complete my Pertronix installation. I see the pink wire coming off of the ignition switch, but it goes into a harness and disappears. It is really hard to see up behind the dash. Am I going to have to remove my hard top, dash, etc. to replace this wire? So much for a 15 min. install!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

RIbronco

Loc.
Costa Mesa, CA
The resistor wire ends at the plug just behind the drivers side valve cover. I forget if it's the blue or red connector, but you will be able to see it go into the connector.

I cut the resistor wire at the ignition switch and connector, leaving it in the wire harness. Then cut the wire that goes to the coil, from the connector as well. Next I ran a wire from the ignition switch, through a hole in the firewall (use a grommet) and spliced it into the previously cut wire in the engine harness. To put it simply, I bypassed the resistor wire.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Unless your dead set on using the stock engine wiring harness, with the oil pressure and temperature sending unit wires, for the coil, you might want to consider using the green/red stripe wire that goes over to the voltage regulator. It's the same green/ red stripe wire that's next to the pink resistor wire on the ignition switch.

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
RIbronco said:
The resistor wire ends at the plug just behind the drivers side valve cover. I forget if it's the blue or red connector, but you will be able to see it go into the connector.

I cut the resistor wire at the ignition switch and connector, leaving it in the wire harness. Then cut the wire that goes to the coil, from the connector as well. Next I ran a wire from the ignition switch, through a hole in the firewall (use a grommet) and spliced it into the previously cut wire in the engine harness. To put it simply, I bypassed the resistor wire.

I'm trying to cypher this out by what you are telling me, a schematic, and my Bronco....what I'm understanding is (tell me if I'm wrong):

According to my Chilton's schematic, the resistor wire is hot pink and starts at the ignition switch (I can see this). It goes to an 8 pin connector which has to be behind the dash. From the 8 pin, it is no longer a resistor wire, but merely a hot lead. From the schematic it appears to become red with a green stripe and goes through the 3 pin RED connector you are talking about on the engine side of the firewall to the coil. Does that sound correct?

What you did, was bypass both connectors and run a hotlead straight to the ignition switch?

68ford

Bronco Guru
i just ran a new wire from the fuse block through the firewall and left the resistor wire, fuse block shuts off during cranking and you still need voltage while cranking.

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
70_Steve said:
Unless your dead set on using the stock engine wiring harness, with the oil pressure and temperature sending unit wires, for the coil, you might want to consider using the green/red stripe wire that goes over to the voltage regulator. It's the same green/ red stripe wire that's next to the pink resistor wire on the ignition switch.

How do you mean, 'use the wire' specifically? Please explain.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
the easiest way to do this is to go to a truck shop( Kenworth , Peterbuilt , etc and ask who they get their eletrical connectors from , ( what vendor) and ask for the connectors to match up to this wire (this is Ford Specific) and install one on the dist and plug in the Wire , which when you look it up in the parts book , is listed as a resistor coil, not a resitor wire. you can just forget the harness and go from coil to ign switch.

Attachments

• wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 86

70_Steve

Old Guy
Baja71 said:
How do you mean, 'use the wire' specifically? Please explain.
The pink resistor wire ( 16 ) , and the green/red stripe wire ( 904 ) connect to the same terminal on the ignition switch (see pic below). Instead of tryign to hack up the wiring under the dash, just find the green/red stripe wire in the engine compartment, and use that as power to your coil. Once you find the wire, just strip back some insulation, and solder a new wire on it, and run it to the + side of the coil. You will wind up not using the wire currently connected to the coil.

Attachments

• ignition switch.jpg
    ignition switch.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
70_Steve said:
The pink resistor wire ( 16 ) , and the green/red stripe wire ( 904 ) connect to the same terminal on the ignition switch (see pic below). Instead of tryign to hack up the wiring under the dash, just find the green/red stripe wire in the engine compartment, and use that as power to your coil. Once you find the wire, just strip back some insulation, and solder a new wire on it, and run it to the + side of the coil. You will wind up not using the wire currently connected to the coil.

That's what I needed!!! My schematic didn't have that much detail on the ignition switch. Thank you!!! ;D

70_Steve

Old Guy
Baja71 said:
My schematic didn't have that much detail on the ignition switch.
You're welcome! ;) You can find schematics of our Bronco's several placed on the web. I usually go to N8's Site for schematics and a lot of other good technical information.