• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Retarded Question of the Day #2

mavman427

Loc.
Nipomo, CA
What does the button the T-handle transfer case shifter do? I don't have the luxury of testing mine since it is MIA. I imagine it is a shifter engage button. If so, how does it work, is there a lock somewhere that stops the handle from moving?

D1970

Loc.
Bakersfield
Seems like a good ? to me. mine is also mia from po but i can shift it just fine unless ive screwed sumthing up and dont know it

Terkish

What does the button the T-handle transfer case shifter do? I don't have the luxury of testing mine since it is MIA. I imagine it is a shifter engage button. If so, how does it work, is there a lock somewhere that stops the handle from moving?

Yes, there is a lock at the base of the handle where the braket mounts to the transfercase. It holds it in place so it dosen't accedently shift while driving.

lonicus

Loc.
Costa Mesa
Here is a pic of the plate - kinda fuzzy at the top but the notches are what locks the shift level in place. Im actually thinking of getting rid of it, Tcase is hard enough to shift...

Attachments

• DSC_0009-1.JPG
    DSC_0009-1.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 42

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
It releases the detent pin on the shifter bracket, Similar to a ratch auto shifter.

D1970

Loc.
Bakersfield
is it a must have or do you not really need it? mine was missing when i got the bronco shifts without it. doesent seem to jump out of gear what do you guys think

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
is it a must have or do you not really need it? mine was missing when i got the bronco shifts without it. doesent seem to jump out of gear what do you guys think

The original T-shift (66) didn't have a locking mechanism and neither does the J-shift D20. I'd say you don't need it.

I suggest you twin-stick it and don't worry about it!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably dont need it but it can help keep the t case in gear. It really has little to do with how hard the tcase shifts.
Lots of guys have issues with keeping the t case in gear even with twin sticks(seen quite a few twin sticks with bungee cords) and J shift types its more due to detent springs in the t case being worn out than it is shifter type.