• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reverse front clip, should I cut the fenders in half/mount to cab?

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
My 74 is getting close to paint. The front clip hinges in reverse (see below old photos). What do you all think, should I bolt the fender to the body and cut upwards in half so the clip still hinges in reverse? or keep it the way I've had it? The way its been works but there is a larger gap between the fender and door than usual (mainly for movent clearance). I used hood pins down at the lower fender to keep it from opening.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Filp You Lid

I Like It Like It Is Now ..how Much Does A Front End Like That Cost
I Had Thought Of Using One Of Those So You Could Add 6 Inches To The Front End And Frame In Order To Put In A 300 Cid ...looked To Me Like The Eazy Way To Do It ..

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Here's a pic of one done like your thinking.

Attachments

• DSC01389S.jpg
    DSC01389S.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
This set up is only 2 fiberglass fenders, 1 fiberglass hood attached to a metal grill, no wheelwells all bolted together. You can get a one piece front clip but its spendy. I reinforced the back side of the metal grill and welded home made 3 knuckle hinges so it can attach to the frame. Probably not the best way of doing it but works. I like this cause all I need to do is pull the head light wires off, 2 hinge pins and the front clip is off and easy to work on the engine. The radiator has to be mounted to the frame as it can't hinge.

Yes, the above orange Bronco is what I'm talking about but maybe less gap at the cut.
Problem here is I'll need to make reinforcements to keep the small piece of fender attached to the cab without the inner wheelwell. Anyone does this?
Need ideas...

The way I have it, the fender needs to be in front of the door post (back side) instead of wraping around the post and bolting on like stock. This allows a bit of room for the fender to rotate up and away without hitting the cab. Doing it this way creates an even bigger gap between the door and front fender. I could cut off the return lip of the fender and pull the entire front clip further towards to the cab but that will weaken the fiberglass fender and cause cracks over time. What do you think?