• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reversed Jumper cables! DOH! No Starty

luke1970

Loc.
Fayetteville AR
hello guys, I had the step dad come over last night to help me wrench on my bronco. battery was dead from a stereo left on and he was nice enough to give me a jump with a battery that he had. Needless to say he reversed the freakin' cables and I saw smoke coming from the cables! I could have possibly ended his life right there! A six pack and I was better but it won't start now, an aftermarket part located right next to the battery tray(voltage regulator?) has the power lead going to the motor was smoking and melted the insulation when we tried to start it. Any idea what this part is?/ Probably a crappy description but any help is appreciated

I did replace one fuse as well so fuses are good, it is cranking but not firing

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
sounds like the starter solenoid. cable coming from the battery to one side, cable to the starter from the other side?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What year of bronco is it? Usually the part rignt next to the battery is the solenoid should have a big cable from the battery another big cable to the starter and 2 smaller wires on top ones for ignition other for the starter. They are cheap and may be your problem. Otherwise you may want to check for spark when cranking to see if your getting any but I think if you replace the solenoid first you may be in bussiness.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
you also have a fusible link in one of the smaller wires coming from the solenoid to the main harness. it should be a 10ga wire coming from the large post where the battery cable connects. check it.

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
You will proably need to replace
Voltage Regulator
Fuseable Link
Battery
And more than likely
Alternator
If you have a Duraspark Ignition the Control Modual will nedd to be replaced as well.

4lofun

i would go with fusible links mostly saved this from being real bad for your bronco. the small wires @ starter solenoid

BroncoThug_77

Loc.
Calgary,Alberta
HaHa I did the same thing last summer and got some great help from the guys on this forum, you should check the thread I started to get help.
I got lucky and finally figured out I just blew the fusible link but that was after replacing my battery and cables and solenoid, oh well it needed doing anyway, good luck

77broncoguy

Loc.
Grand Rapids, MI
I had this happen once when my battery jumped out of place on a bumpy ride. It grounded out and stayed wedged between the tray and the hood. This was early in my bronco days, and it took me forever to figure out the fusible link thing. After replacing the solenoid and voltage regulator, all it was was that fusible link. I used the solenoid later on down the road when the other went bad, same with the regulator.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
I hate to admit not paying attention one time. Battery was dead, so no probem at that moment. Didnt realize until the battery was fully charged, but backwards. I had to flip the battery cables around to start truck. Finally completely discharged the battery again and started over.