• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rhino liner rubbing off?

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
It's not exactly EB related; however, my truck bed was sprayed with Rhino Liner back in 2008, and it still rubs off! If you wipe your finger an inch or two anywhere on the liner, you get a black smudge. I was told back in 2010 that it would take a few months for this to stop, but it still does it. Everytime I wash the truck I get back there and wash the liner too, hoping it's the last time I'll have to do it. Yesterday I washed it again, but the rinse water was black when I finished, and today it smudges again. I can't put anything back there that I'm worried about getting dirty and you can forget about climbing up on the tailgate to sit...you'll ruin your clothes! Anyone have this experience and know what I can do about it? I can't go back to the original sprayer...that was in North Carolina and I've been transferred twice since then and we don't have one locally.

I sprayed my own EB with SEM back in 2008 and it NEVER smudged!

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
it was not preped right, mine has been on since 1996 on my F-250 and had no problems with it at all. but the rest of the truck is rusty. l.o.l.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
That sucks. Sounds like they F'd up your truck. Strip it back out and start over id say! Lots of work, but if its as soft as you say then maybe itll scrape right out. Good luck! You shouldnt have waited so long to tell them. I would have never left the shop back in 2008 with it like that. It should be hard as its gona get when you leave the rhino place!

slowstroke

Loc.
North Las Vegas
Do you have to bring it back to the original sprayer? I thought as long as you could prove you are the original owner and had the work done it had a lifetime warranty. If rhino wont respray id say peel it out and get yourself a raptor liner kit and DIY.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
not prep so much as curing or mixing agent, sounds like whoever sprayed it didn't mix it right or sprayed it wrong (to hot, cold, humid, etc)

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I would not strip it, as Polyurea is strong stuff, far stronger than the 2 part polyurethane DIY kits. It sounds to me like one of the ports on the gun may have been a little clogged and 1 part of the Polyurea mix (most likely the catalyst) was low. What I personally would do, is coat it with a top coat of DIY liner, this will seal it, while maintaining that stronger bottom coat of Polyurea. The polyurethane will form a chemical bond with Polyurea so it should be a very strong solution to your problem.

OP
OP
jboomer

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I can't use the warranty because I'm not the one that had it applied. I bought it from a dealer pre-installed. Rhino-liner has told me the same.

I was wondering if there was a way to top coat it (there's no way I'm going to try and remove it). Sounds like I could top it with a DIY kit...the next question is which to go with?

I used the SEM, but don't want to go a spray on route again. If it messes up, I'd be in double-trouble trying to remove both products. I think that rules out the Raptor kit too, right? Is there any kind of paint-on product I could use to re-seal the liner I have in order to cut cost? I like the look/feel of the Rhino OK and am just looking to end the "soot".

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I can't use the warranty because I'm not the one that had it applied. I bought it from a dealer pre-installed. Rhino-liner has told me the same.

I was wondering if there was a way to top coat it (there's no way I'm going to try and remove it). Sounds like I could top it with a DIY kit...the next question is which to go with?

I used the SEM, but don't want to go a spray on route again. If it messes up, I'd be in double-trouble trying to remove both products. I think that rules out the Raptor kit too, right? Is there any kind of paint-on product I could use to re-seal the liner I have in order to cut cost? I like the look/feel of the Rhino OK and am just looking to end the "soot".

You could use the duplicolor rattle cans, but it's not a great polyurethane product. Anything 2 part like SEM is going to be stronger. You can pretty much roll any of it on, but spraying it is a pretty easy job.

OP
OP
jboomer

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
You could use the duplicolor rattle cans, but it's not a great polyurethane product. Anything 2 part like SEM is going to be stronger. You can pretty much roll any of it on, but spraying it is a pretty easy job.

I remember spraying the SEM and how much prep went into it as well as the stress of wondering if I missed something and whether it was going to peel off or not. I'd rather not go through that again! How would I go about preping an already applied bedliner?

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Wash it, Polyurea and Polyurethane will re-wet themselves when new chemicals are applied. They will chemically bond, you don't have to sand it as the existing liners surface will have plenty of 3D structure, as well given that it will chemically bond it's going to be strong. I would wash it and shoot it, maybe a degreaser just to be on the safe side, if you lugged oil or something around in it.