• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rim Measurement and tire thoughts

Bronco Sully

Loc.
Houston
How does one measure the rim size? I just painted my original rims and am looking to put some new tires on the rig. I measured from the top to bottom of the rim on the outside. It measured 16.5 inches. I triple checked. The PO tires were Wild Country XTX's, 225/75/15. Given that, I thought my rims were 15 inches. A bit confused, but probably doing something boneheaded.

Tire thoughts:
I have an uncut, unlifted stock rig, original springs and leafs. I was looking at the following size (assuming 15 in rims) 235/75/15. I have read that this size should not pose any fit issues. I would consider larger if they can fit without altering the truck.

Wrangler duratrac
BFG AT TA KO

Any help on the measurement issue and opinions on the tires/size I am looking at would be appreciated.

Sully

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bronco Sully

Loc.
Houston
Ok - think I saw bead seam to bead seam. Correct? That would be 15 inches.

Thoughts on the tires and size still welcome.

Cheers, Sully

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
size is up to you but I will say that I have owned many many sets of BFG all terrains and they rock. Verry good wear, and ausome in the rain and snow. There not very aggraesive looking but there great tires and you will not be disappointed.

My next tires for my bronco will be BGF all terrains if I get a less aggressive tire, otherwise a mud tire of some sort, probably BFG also.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Correct. Wheels are made to fit the inside diameter of the tire. You've included the lip of the wheel which will be 1 to 1 1/2 inches or more larger than the tire size.

Yes those should fit. You can usually fit up to about 30 inch tire on an uncut, unlifted Bronco but it will depend upon the width and back spacing/offset of the wheel you choose.

I'd look at he Goodyear Duratracs also. They are a bit more aggressive than the BFG ATs but not as much as a mud tire. If you go with the BFGs, hold off a bit because they are coming out with a redesign shortly.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Rims are measured bead to bead so 15in is correct. You couldnt put a 15in tire on a 16.5 rim no matter how hard you tried.
You should be able to run 31x10.50's with no issues on a uncut and wheels with stock backspacing.
Either of your tire choices will be fine Im running the wranglers on my ranger now they are good so far. Do good in the snow and look a little more agressive than the BFG AT's.

OP
OP
B

Bronco Sully

Loc.
Houston
Gents went with 235/75 15 wrangler duratrac. Very happy with the look.

Quick question, to balance the tires, I've got like 3 weights on the rim, on each rim. Is this normal?

OP
OP
B

Bronco Sully

Loc.
Houston
I just got them out of my truck and the bastar@s scratched a couple spots on my newly painted rims. Discount tire by the way. I told them to be careful. Yeah sure boss, we'll be careful You cant get anything done right anymore! I think I am going to say rip them off and give me my money back out of principle. If i wanted my rims sratched, i'd a put the damn things on in my garage with a scrwdriver and a hammer. My first run at auto painting at that.

Going to have to go back and touch up the rims. I am so pissed right now.

Any thoughts on the weights would be helpful. Thanks, sully.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Mine also seemed to take a lot of weights to balance. I think its just the tires and there aggressive thread pattern. Ive even got some weights that are spaced out along the rim. But I think I only have one tire that has 3 weights.

OP
OP
B

Bronco Sully

Loc.
Houston
Broncnaz, are the weights on the outside or inside of the rim, or both? I have 2 with 3, 1 with 2 and 1 with none on the outside. Inside did not bother me, one or two on a couple.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Mine are on the outside. Havent really looked to see if there are any on the inside. many times agressive tires need lots of weights in different spots theres really no getting around it. Well there is a a way some people use those airsoft pellets to balance there tires.

OP
OP
B

Bronco Sully

Loc.
Houston
Update. I just got the 235/75/15's wrangler duratracs on my stock rig (extended brake job) original leaf springs an coils. When I turn the steering wheel almost to the extreme left or right, I mean almost to the very end I get some rubbing. I have not had a chance to see exactly what is being touched. I will report back. I will say it is at such an extreme turning radius that I am ok with it. I am good with the purchase and the tires look great. I will post a poc and let you guys know what I think is rubbing.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Sully, sorry about your scratched rims. I would be pissed too.

With respect to the tire rubbing on the radius arm..........you should have some adjustable stops on your steering knuckles to avoid that.

OP
OP
B

Bronco Sully

Loc.
Houston
results

Thought I would upload a final pic of the tires for future reference for someone looking for an example of an uncut/lifted rig with original suspension deploying 235/75/15 Duratracs. I am pretty happy with the results.

Attachments

• Houston-20140201-00334.jpg
    Houston-20140201-00334.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 63

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
They look awesome! Love the look of an aggressive tire on stock steelie wheels without any hub caps.