• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roadster season, M416 mods, and other nonsense.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Been driving my Bronco every chance I get since I did the latest updates/mods to it and I am having a blast! Many thanks to all on this board whose knowledge helped me a ton in my continued Bronco adventure. My job ends in mid June and I have the bug to do a road/off road trip. Now that I am getting a few miles in what I call trial runs, here is a report on what is working well and what needs a little attention (nothing major). I am now going to start some updates to my trusty old M416 trailer as it will be my home in my travels. The thought is to use my roof top tent as a lid to the trailer similar to the pictures (this is not my trailer, mine is the one behind my bronco). The tent I have is the medium size and sleeps two adult with plenty of room, the small size RTT fits the width of the trailer better, but I already own this one so I will build the frame using the idea that this guy had of the frame being 3" wider than the fiberglass tent, kinda like tent rock rails just in case the trailer goes on its side. The M416 can float and/or be used as a pool, however since I don't swim that well I want to put a tailgate in it. My trailer has a spring over and is on 35s, as I get older I am getting lazy in lifting heavy items over the top. Anyway, enough of my ramblings, hope to meet some of you out on my journey.

What is working well:
-EFI: 351W with Lightning lower/Explorer upper/1" spacer. Explorer throttle body with Viperwolf mod, larger MAF (can't remember which one, it is a Ford part), 19lb injectors. A9T computer repaired by the EFI Guy.
-Serpentine conversion w Saginaw pump: Explorer serpentine with WH saginaw/delphi kit modified for the 351W. Took a few spacers to align everything up, but works great. Ron Francis shroud with explorer metal fan.
-Suspension: WH 3 1/2" rock crawler suspension, WH shock mounts, all corners double shocked with Duff shocks. My Bronco out handles and rides better than my Subaru with this setup. I checked out the Bilsteins, but was told by multiple vendors that I should double shock the front as my Bronco is heavy (plate bumpers, 8274 Warn winch, rock armor, etc.). So, I modified the upper WH rear Shock Jock and installed the Duff shocks. Shock length and wheel travel are a great match. I couldn't be happier.
-Fuel pump access panel: Says it all, beats dropping the tank and has already been used.

Little things:
-Fuel tanks: I have a new quieter fuel pump to replace the current noisy one (early BC EFI tank). The aux. tank is being used as a big gas can and is set up to pump fuel into the return line to refill the main tank with a Carter fuel pump, however when driving fuel is getting past the Carter pump and filling up the aux tank. I am going to install a check valve first to see if that will work. If that doesn't work, I will run a new fuel line from the tank to the vent hose of the rear tank.
-Rear shackles: My original shackles were toast, so I put on the WH extreme shackles. However the straight design hits the spring hanger on full droop. Someday, I want to put on the original boomerang style of shackles (but stronger) to get back that little bit of extra travel.
IMG_5920.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5910.jpg

IMG_5974.jpg

IMG_5973.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

mrdrnac

Contributor
shackle

Member "Migs" makes a custom curved/shaped heavy duty shackle exactly like what you are looking for!

mrdrnac

Contributor
Here it is!

Attachments

• IMG_7196.jpg
    IMG_7196.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 229

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Member "Migs" makes a custom curved/shaped heavy duty shackle exactly like what you are looking for!

Nicks Trix, also makes a nice heavy duty one....

Migs is a pretty cool dude too though

knack

Contributor
I came to the same conclusion with my M416. It didn't need to float. Here's a few pics of the door I built.

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Yes, a tailgate will be in the mix of my future mods. Thanks for the pictures.