• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rocker Replacement????

slcpunk

Loc.
The WB, UTAH
I was just wondering how hard it is to replace the rocker panels on an eb?
My dad said that he replaced his on the 73 he had 20 years ago but he did not remember how hard it was.
thanks.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Cut and weld. If I were you cut the rockers out and weld in some .188 wall 2x6 or 3x6 rectangular tube rock skis. Do a search on it. You get more protection, beef's up the body and will not rust out.

pahoughton

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
Personally I used 2 1x3 11 Gauge (1/8) welded together w/ 3/4 sq 11 G welded inside. This made my rock sliders 1" tall and 6" wide. Here is a pic in my gallery:
showphoto.php

broncobilly_69

Loc.
Lebanon
I drilled out the spot welds on mine. Takes a while but worked pretty good, then I just welded up the wholes after slipping the new rocker in place.

mikev3704

One quick question??? Did you use a regular drill bit to drill out the spot welds.. I used a 3/8 bit and it went through on a few welds on my floor panels. Do they make a special bit to drill the spot welds out??

noot74

Loc.
Washington
I went to my local auto parts store. They have spotweld cutters. I think that is the actual name of them. Mine cost just under $20 and they work well. Only drawback so far for mine, was that the pilot bit in the middle is spring loaded. When you pop through the spot weld, it would fly out and you would have to look for it.

Boring66

Loc.
Boring, Oregon
If you are going to go back to stock rockers you should cut in an access hole in the inner wall and then install a removable cover so that you can rinse the mud and crud out of the rockers. Works great on mine. I will try to send pictures if you are interested.