• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll cage/ Bumper question

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
To those who have built your own roll cages or bumpers what size tubing did you use? I am about to buy my tube bender and was wondering what size dies I should get. I know I am getting a 2" for the majority of the cage and bumpers, my question is on the other little add ons. Did you use 1", 1 1/2".

I am going to be building my cage with seat mounts, 4pt harness mounts, front bumper with winch mount, adding a tire rack, fuel can holder and cooler rack.

I know I could use all different kinds of sizes for this I am just looking to see what you guys have used in the past. TIA ;D

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D The roll bar should be 2" with a 1/8" wall as for the rest bumper it will be your choice from 1" up but should be at least 1/8" wall or better up tp 1/4". My crash bar in front is home made and the up rights are 3/8 steel and the tubs are 2" with a 1/4" wall and were tested a few years ago. I hit a dodge over the rear wheel and broke one running light no other damage his was a total and all I culd get from his insurance was 800.00. But on the roll bar dont cheet on the steel its your head good luck.:p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
bigpappa

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
Trust me I am not skimping, I am just trying to figure out what Dies I need to get with my bender. I am thinking 2", 1.5" and 1".

dxeflyr

Loc.
Ocala FL
How much is a tube bender suitable for those projects going to cost you? Been thinking it's something I need to add to my shop. Thanks!

OP
OP
bigpappa

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
GJBroncoMan
I was thinking of getting the 1" for small things like Oh Sh!* bars and things like that. Plus I may use it for making a barstool racer for fun.

Dxeflyr
I am looking at the pro tools heavy duty 105. The bender, stand degree ring and handle will be around $560 + shipping, then you have to add your dies. They are running a special for all mentioned above and a 120 deg die for $683.

The 2" I am looking at is $225 and the 1.5" is $175. They could be more or less depending on what size and what wrap you get.

Go to http://www.pro-tools.com/ and you can check them out.

68beast

Loc.
Covina, Kalifornia
I got a 2" die for the cage, bumpers, and other stuff, and also a 1" for things like chicken bars, roof racks, and gussets for the cage.