• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll on bed liner crap....

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
A good friend of mine posed a question for me today. He wants to use raptor liner on the inside of the tub so it's tinted the same color as the body... He asked me if he should try and remove the cheap roll on bed liner the PO laid down or spray directly over it. I have read that removing that crap is difficult... Any suggestions? The roll on doesn't look bad and is fairly fresh if that makes a difference. I told him I would just shoot over it but I wanted to ask so I didn't steer him wrong... This isn't a show truck... Just a family cruiser.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
A good friend of mine posed a question for me today. He wants to use raptor liner on the inside of the tub so it's tinted the same color as the body... He asked me if he should try and remove the cheap roll on bed liner the PO laid down or spray directly over it. I have read that removing that crap is difficult... Any suggestions? The roll on doesn't look bad and is fairly fresh if that makes a difference. I told him I would just shoot over it but I wanted to ask so I didn't steer him wrong... This isn't a show truck... Just a family cruiser.

Call Raptor and they'll hook you up with the local tech rep. They were an excellent resource to help me prep my tub.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Wire wheels on cheapie harbor freight grinders to remove, it is a pain in the butt and takes hours. If the want it to last, I bet removing it is the way to go.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I helped a freind remove some cheap roll on for a few minutes here and there. Some of it came off real easy with just a simple screw driver in sheets. Then some of it was a bitch. I know he has a few hours in removal .

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
When I sprayed my Raptor liner on top of a previously sprayed bedliner I called U-POL (the makers of Raptor). They said to clean the existing liner with soap and water and prep solvent we use for wiping down cars prior to paint. Apply adhesion promoter on and let flash. Then apply the Raptor. Mine has held up great but it all depends on how well the prep work was for the existing bedliner. You said the existing bedliner is in good shape so I would apply it directly on top of it.

I would only use U-POL's adhesion promoter because the fact that you are spraying wet on wet. Here's the TDS sheet on the U-POL #4 adhesion promoter.

BTW U-POL tech line is (800) 340 7824 or (610) 746 7081
Call and they will give you the cell number to your local U-POL tech.