• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll on bed liner questions

74bronk

I'm going to put the roll on bed coating. I was wondering how high on the sides would someone recomend? I'm going to go from the tailgate all the way up to the bottom of the fire wall in drivers section but not sure about the sides. Dupli-color is the brand I'm using.

Thanks
Tom

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I promise that if you ever have your top off much in the sun or abuse your rig you will wish you got Line-X.

I have herculiner in mine and know people with rhinoliner and durabak and others and nothing is as durable or reduces noise as much as Line-x.

Just my two cents.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I had mine done by AZ Bedliners. The prices was right and I am happy with the results. I had them spray up and over the bed rails. See pic. I figure this will help protect the bedrails. I think it looks good too.

Attachments

• PIC00042.jpg
    PIC00042.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 129

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used Hesculiner and rolled/brushed it on. I have been very happy with it for a year now. It works great for an everyday driver and trail rig. If I qwanted to go show quality..I'd go with aa nice spray inbecause they are smoother and more consistant. My Hercluliner is great though. I put mine on the tailgate all the way to the firewall. Did the entry area on the door openings and came up where the curve of the rocker stops at the bottom of the door posts. I did all the inner rear quarters up to the top of the bed rails. I didn't roll it over the top edge. Some do however roll it over the top edge, but my softop rail covers that part, so I left it painted.

Blue71

crab

Bronco Guru
I used the Duplicolor on my '70 and was happy with the result. I used two gallons and went all the way up to the underside of the bed rails. The nice thing about this product is it is very workabe and consistant in texture as well as available in an aerosol rattle can for easy touch up. As with any product, prep is the key. I wire brused and sanded the tub then shot at couple cans of cold galvanize followed by a layer of hammerite then the Duplicolor liner. It did wear through where the heals of my Danner boots always ride, but would have been fine if I would have layed a mat down. I wouldn't use the product on a trail rig where you have a lot of tools and crap on the floor all the time, but is fine for a street driver.

Attachments

• rseat.jpg
    rseat.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 62
  • int.jpg
    int.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 81
  • fdp2.jpg
    fdp2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 53
  • dfp.jpg
    dfp.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 70

hd03sporty

Loc.
Tucson AZ
If you do go with the "dupli-color" brand make sure you prep the metal very good any un-preped areas will bubble and peel, and just so you know if you ever decide to go with a proffessional spray on liner you will need to remove the duplicolor back down to bare metal which is not an easy undertaking, believe me I know this from experience with it, I had mine sprayed with rhino-ining and have never regretted it I also had them spray the tailgate lip and bed rails for protection....

Attachments

• raillin.jpg
    raillin.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 60
  • rails.jpg
    rails.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 76
  • railin2.jpg
    railin2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 124
  • mikey.jpg
    mikey.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 68

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Not to hijack this but.......
hd03sporty where did you get those mirrors?

I have Line-x in my 72 had it sprayed over the rails but so it couldn't be seen with the top on. Take a look at these pics. Don't have any with the top off.

Attachments

• PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00542 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00542 (Medium).JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 34

hd03sporty

Loc.
Tucson AZ
broncoman said:
Not to hijack this but.......
hd03sporty where did you get those mirrors?

Those are the "Mikey mirrors" a member here and on EBML makes (or made) them Mike Bowlin is the members name....

sellers69

Loc.
Durango, Colorado
I wasnt a fan of the dupli color I preped very well and it started chipping with a year. It also rolled on really thin. And dont get me started on taking it up to install a new bed liner. Herculiner is worth the extra money, just my 2cents.

Merlin76

Check out the Durabak product... Lots of people here are happy with it and it can be rolled on or sprayed on with basic equipment....

http://www.durabakbedliner.com/

I am getting ready to coat my frame with it (sprayed)... Probably tomorrow or Saturday... I'll be posting pics when it's done.

bronconate68

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I used Hurculiner, a gallon and a quart. I used an undercoating gun purchased from harbor freight for $6. I used a quart jar for the siphon container. With 35 psi on the gun and 10% dilution with Xyline (sp), I was able to put 2 coats on and it looks great. You have to put 2 coats, one really looks bad. Here is a link to some pics. You can see where 1 coat looks bad, I sprayed one coat before I flipped the tub. I spray top and bottom, 2 gallons and 2 quarts total. I even hit the motor compartment and the insides of the front quarters.

I shot it up the firewall, to the top, up each side and over the edge of the bed rails and tailgate. I even shot it in behind the tail lights, that was easy with the tub upside down. There is a bunch of info on the net. If you do shoot it use water filters behind you gun.

link http://blake.prohosting.com/wesn24/

desertjunky

Loc.
Buckeye
beadliner

I used the Burabak and went from tailgate to firewall and up to the top of the rail not over I have had it in for almost a year now and the only spot is where my heel rides on th skinnypedal it only took one gal. but if I were to do it again I would use two gal for thickness my .02