• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roller Rocker Valve Cover Clearance

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
I Am Installing A Vintage A/c Kit In Another Thread But I Have The Tall Ford Racing Valve Covers That Are Brand New But The Compressor Hits The Valve Cover. What Valve Cover Can I Run That The Crane Rollers Will Not Hit Or Will Any Valve Cover Work. I Hate To Get Rid Of My New Chrome Finished Ones But The A/c Will Be Real Nice In Georgia. Any Feedback Will Help. Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I run stock valve covers with roller rockers not sure if my trick flow heads have taller valve cover rails then stock.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
broncnaz said:
I run stock valve covers with roller rockers not sure if my trick flow heads have taller valve cover rails then stock.
Do you know if the Bronco Script covers will clear the rockers? I know they are a problem with the EFI intakes which isn't a concern to me. I just don't want to buy a set and then find out they don't clear the rockers.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
SaddleUp said:
Do you know if the Bronco Script covers will clear the rockers? I know they are a problem with the EFI intakes which isn't a concern to me. I just don't want to buy a set and then find out they don't clear the rockers.
Most mustang guys cut or bend the baffle out of the way. Check over at stangnet. It's a pretty common issue.

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
The Bronco script covers will not fit unless you remove the baffles or modify them quite a bit. I would not suggest removing them, because then you have to deal with the oil that will blow out.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
bowhunter said:
The Bronco script covers will not fit unless you remove the baffles or modify them quite a bit. I would not suggest removing them, because then you have to deal with the oil that will blow out.
Another words my choice is either a stock cover or smooth aluminum? I definately don't want to deal with pulling the baffles. (I would rather have it look ugly and work right than be pretty and blow oil)

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
BRONCO26 said:
I Am Installing A Vintage A/c Kit In Another Thread But I Have The Tall Ford Racing Valve Covers That Are Brand New But The Compressor Hits The Valve Cover. What Valve Cover Can I Run That The Crane Rollers Will Not Hit Or Will Any Valve Cover Work. I Hate To Get Rid Of My New Chrome Finished Ones But The A/c Will Be Real Nice In Georgia. Any Feedback Will Help. Thanks
---------------sometimes the area on the corners that are touching can be notched without effecting clearance on the rockers, but I wouldn't attempt welding on the cover except with a tig

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
broncnaz said:
------I don't know if they are all like that but I've seen trickflow heads with definetly taller rails where the valve covers mount

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
SaddleUp said:
Another words my choice is either a stock cover or smooth aluminum? I definately don't want to deal with pulling the baffles. (I would rather have it look ugly and work right than be pretty and blow oil)
----------not cheap but there are spacers available to make short valve covers tall, I was going to do this intially because I wanted to use these specific valve covers with rollers but didn't want to mangle or remove the baffles for the reasons you said-- on a side note I debated back & forth about adding roller rockers to the crate motor & found while they are benefical the stock rail rockers are plenty good for occasional revs to 5,500 rpm- roller cams are more benefical (in that rpm range anyway) because there are certain grinds produced that flat tappets can't even follow

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
with TF heads and stock covers I still had to tweak the oil fill baffel a good wack with a hammer took care of the problem and I still have a intact baffel. Not sure I would go the spacer route I tried one of the thick gaskets with steel core I think it was like 1/4" thick it did nothing but leak.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Yes, I also want to avoid a spacer even if it means sticking to stock ones. I just liked the look of the Bronco Script covers. Not enough though to change it if I need to modify the baffles or add a spacer. I'll switch to the FMS EFI ones first.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
SaddleUp said:
I'll switch to the FMS EFI ones first.

What do these look like? I've been looking for a nice set that will clear my 1.6 FMS roller rockers. By the way, I talked to a guy at Summit about a week ago about the script covers and he told me that they will not fit with modification. He didn't know what mods would be needed to make them fit, but he did know that in their stock form, they woulndn't fit.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
crawln68 said:
What do these look like? I've been looking for a nice set that will clear my 1.6 FMS roller rockers. By the way, I talked to a guy at Summit about a week ago about the script covers and he told me that they will not fit with modification. He didn't know what mods would be needed to make them fit, but he did know that in their stock form, they woulndn't fit.
Similar to the Bronco Script but they say Ford or Motorsports or something like that on them instead. I'm not certain if they will even clear or not since they are just supposed to work with EFI motors. I.E. They don't specifically say they work with roller rockers.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
When they say that they will work with EFI motors, I think they are referring to clearing the upper intake. Is your truck upper as close to the valve covers as a mustang upper?

Roller rockers are a whole nother issue as far rocker clearance. I am running a 1 inch spacer between my lower and upper so I can run a pretty tall valve cover without issues there. I am just looking for a decent set of cover that will clear the rr's. All of the ones that I've seen thus far don't do anything for me.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
crawln68 said:
When they say that they will work with EFI motors, I think they are referring to clearing the upper intake. Is your truck upper as close to the valve covers as a mustang upper?

Roller rockers are a whole nother issue as far rocker clearance. I am running a 1 inch spacer between my lower and upper so I can run a pretty tall valve cover without issues there. I am just looking for a decent set of cover that will clear the rr's. All of the ones that I've seen thus far don't do anything for me.
I run the truck intake so I'm not anywhere near to hitting the valve cover.

gibsonplayer45

I had the bronco script valve covers on my bronco with roller rockers they were hitting so i put 2 gaskets instead of one!! works great

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I run the Ford Motorsport cover that are like the scrip covers with roller and double thick cork gaskets on my 351W and they clear just barely. Not sure if there is a difference in the valve cover rail height in the 351 vs. 302 but they work;D

Attachments

• VC.jpg
    VC.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 17