• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rossette welds broken and tube wobles

Jsp

Loc.
San Jose, CA
rossette welds broken and tube wobles Dana 44

Ok so i,m in the middle of narrowing a 78 bronco dana 44. I don't believe the welds were broken till i started pounding. it was a pain in the but to get the casting end off even with heat. i ended up damaging the mount for track bar really bad. had to cut it off. LOL figure i'll weld on a riser like wildhorse sells. anyway once i pounded the cast end back on i notice the tube wobbling in the axle housing it looks like the welds are cracked. had to use a small sledge and block of wood with axle standing up on grass to get it back on. I have no problem rewelding these and welding up the tubes but is it an issue that is not a perfectly tight fit? i thought these were pressed in.

Last edited:

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
i had a similar problem with the drivers side on mine. I didnt get all scientific with it. I justed eyballed it and welded it up. something is worn from it wobbling. just line it up and weld. I think were talking about the same thing. LIke i have stated in other posts, these are not precision machines. mine has been working fine for almost 15 years now.

OP
OP
J

Jsp

Loc.
San Jose, CA
sounds good. i'm just trying to figure out if it needs to be perfectly straight. yeah there was some questionable work done on this axles and there were things not done right. it might have been broken when i got it but kinda think i did it trying to get the cast piece off and on. I was beating on it.