• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Run a non ho roller efi?

oldiron

Bronco Guru
As I'm digging deeper into the efi swap for the '77 (Mustang SD EFI). I've had an idea. The '77 is running an '86 ho roller, so has the ho/351 firing order, everything should match up nicely and run great. BUUUT in my '72 I'm running a '68 302 with the old non ho firing order. It has been my understanding that you could run sefi on this engine and it would run fine but could have a small idle problem due to the different firing order. COULD I use the harness and ecm from say an '88 crown vic/grand marquis that used the old firing order? So far I haven't found a reason why it wouldn't work just fine. I did an inventory yesterday and I believe all I'm missing is the ecm for the swap.
BTW the '77 efi swap hasn't been nearly as hard as I thought it would be so far.
Greg

needsmoarturbo

If I I recall from the depths of my memory correctly you don't even have to swap harness, the injectors are wired off the same pins. So you just need a non mass air ho computer. And if you do want mass air you need a mass air computer and can just add the mass air wires to the harness.

I looked into this long ago and put 19lb injectors and a non mass air computer onto my old 302 engine firing order. It idled fine even with the wrong injector firing order but had no more power than before so I think I went back to the LTD computer and injectors..

Edit:
Duh I guess I didn't fully understand your question at first. Yes you can 100% put an 87 crown vic efi setup on an older 302. That's what I'd did put it on my 74 bronco engine, it runs great.

OP
OP
oldiron

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Well good; at least I had my mind right this time. After I finish the '77 I'll start on the '72. Can't wait.
Thanks
Greg