• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rust Bullet vs. POR

rharrell

Loc.
Benton, LA
Does anyone have any experience with Rust Bullet? This product seems to eliminate a step in protecting the metal. I am going to use POR or Rust Bullet on my frame and body when I have them apart.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Mark and I have differed on this one. I had decent luck with it. I think the key is 3+ coats, I went fairly heavy on my applications and saw no increased rust, creepage or recurrence after about a year. The floorboard in question was also submerged for ~3 days at one point during a flood.

None of these products are cure alls like many people claim. If you have rust, cut it out, replace the steel and use quality materials.

I will say that I have rarely heard bad things about POR products. RB may have put out some bad batches from what it sounds like. From my experience, cure time in between coats was key. I had one piece that I didnt give proper dry time to (heavy coats) and it bubbled and had to be restripped, which sucks, cause what does stick does not want to come back off. Good luck.

Michael A

Loc.
San Diego
Can either of these look as nice as paint ? What is the advantage of these over paint ?
I am also debating what to use.
I haven't seen any info on if they come in other colors except black.
How about Eastwood Co. "Chassis Black". Is it any good ?

bosshoff

Contributor
People have had mixed results with Rustbullet. POR is fine stuff, but is sort of chaulky looking, fades, and is not UV stable. There are some other threads on KBS products which are made by the owners of the former POR-Store. Personally, I feel the finish from the KBS is 100% better than the POR, and a lot more UV stable. It also comes in some basic colors. I love the stuff. Check out the coupon in the mass sales vendor forum.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I've used Eastwood's products for previous projects with great success.

Chassis Black is a heavy solids (durable paint). But you're comparing apples and oranges stacking it against POR and RB. You want to consider the Rust Encapsulator first as a rust preventative with a Chassis Black topcoat for finish.

Michael A

Loc.
San Diego
If I go the "Eastwood Route" I will use their whole system. I am glad to hear you got good results, as I was leaning this way.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I've used both.... They both cost about the same..

If I need black, I'll use the POR

If I need gray, than it's the Rust Bullet

hogfan

I really like the eastwood products. I've used them on my bronco and mustang and I would use them again.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
For 20 years I have only used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. A couple of reviews via actual tests gave it the thumbs up over that P stuff that everybody seems to use.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I have to agree with everyone's opinions on the Eastwood stuff. I've restored 2 mustangs and 2 broncos over the past 15 years and have used their stuff all along.

I tried POR-15 with the most recent truck. It creates a hard as nails shell, but is a pain to work with. Clean-up is nearly impossible. Top-coating POR requires add'l POR primer or add'l sanding. Don't take me wrong - it's an amazing product, but I will go back to Eastwood when I find my wife's 65/66 mustang convertible.

Jeff

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Thinking about it, I have also used Eastwood products while building my Torino and Ranchero.. This was way before POR and RB hit the market.

I used the red stuff from Eastwood with great results.

head

Loc.
Kalama WA
I used RB on my project. Went two tone black and grey on everything. Was easy to work with and cleaned up relatively easy. The automotive black is great and finishes in a high gloss hard as nails finish. I installed two coats of black over one coat of the grey. It is rather time sensative and I had the best results installing preceeding coats just beyond the tack point.
I ordered it in a package promotion deal two qts. black and 4qts. grey for $180.00. No regrets

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I am not sure if the rust bullet is the same as the rust encapsulator? But I used the Encapsulator and will buy it again because it works like a champ and I have never had the rust come back. Keep in mind, the encapsualtor is made to change the rust to a non-expansive compound but it really only works on heavy surface rust thats pitted. If you have major rust that has weaken the metal you need to replace it. 2 thumbs for the eastwood encapsulator.

Ben