• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rusted bushing sleeve

Ryan_M

Loc.
Franklin
For the first time in 21 years working on this bronco I have ran out of ideas.

Trying to remove the passenger side shackle. The bolt, of course, is rusted to the sleeve. To the point it has completely worked free of the rubber and i can slide the shackle over and see the sleeve spin with the bolt.

I have used 3 cans of different rust remover. I have used limited amounts of heat (gas tank in place). Lots of pressure and pounding from both sides and still not breaking free. Not sure grinding the bolt will do much and I will lose any leverage I have. The bolt is beyond useable at this point, so short of TNT any ideas?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe grind the head off the bolt from the outside and then drive it in with a BFH and a punch. Otherwise, I'd probably just torch the bolt between the hanger and the shackle on both sides, remove the shackle and deal with it on the bench. It shouldn't take that much time or heat, and the sparks will all be directed forward or rearward, but clearly take precautions with respect to the gas tank.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Thanks, sawzall it is. That is what I was leaning towards.

Why is it, that it is always the last bolt of a project that is the problem :mad:

Because you weren't bleeding yet. The vampire wants its ounce of blood on every project before your through.

OP
OP
R

Ryan_M

Loc.
Franklin
What size is the bolt that connects the shackle to the frame mount? I need to try and find a replacement bolt today.

Thanks!