• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rusted door posts

Wzbell

Loc.
Troutman, NC
After removing both fenders today to replace them some time in the future I found both door posts are rusted. One more than the other. the worse is rusted out up past the bottom hinge in the inside behind the fender. I assume the posts are fine as lomg as they still hold the door solid with no sag or sway and that I treat the rust. Should I metion I am not restoring to mint or stock just somehting i can have some fun with.

Rusted1

[quote author=Wzbell link=board=5;threadid=10764;start=0#78710 date=1036031551]<br>After removing both fenders today to replace them some time in the future I found both door posts are rusted. One more than the other. the worse is rusted out up past the bottom hinge in the inside behind the fender. I assume the posts are fine as lomg as they still hold the door solid with no sag or sway and that I treat the rust. Should I metion I am not restoring to mint or stock just somehting i can have some fun with.<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>The rust will only get worse. I would think about buying the new posts from JBG as money permits. I replaced the front driver side post 3 weeks ago on my 77 and the door post from JBG was an excellent fit needing only minor trimming at the top of the post. This is one of the main support structures for the dash, door and kick panel area. Check out the links in this site and remember to take good measurements from the rear post prior to cutting out the old post, and only cut one side out at a time so you can use the other side as a guide if possible. ;D

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Has anyone ever posted a diagram with the door measurements here ? That would be useful to a lot of people. Sometimes you can't measure the other side because it has sagged too .

CraigS

Measurements can be different from vehicle to vehicle. Not much but enough to cause alignment problems.

OP
OP
W

Wzbell

Loc.
Troutman, NC
The rust will only get worse. I would think about buying the new posts from JBG as money permits. I replaced the front driver side post 3 weeks ago on my 77 and the door post from JBG was an excellent fit needing only minor trimming at the top of the post. This is one of the main support structures for the dash, door and kick panel area. Check out the links in this site and remember to take good measurements from the rear post prior to cutting out the old post, and only cut one side out at a time so you can use the other side as a guide if possible. ;D<br>
<br><br>Now you have me wondering about the P/S. It is rusted also but only at the very bottom. The bottom of the post has rusted out, about 1 inch or so. Should I replace it too. Looking at replacing both fenders and one door post and maybe the hood I'm in deep but I don't want to spend money that can be spent somewhere else. But I don't want to regret it either.