• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rusted fuel tank causing problems...

origbronco

My main tank is original and rusted pretty badly. I just recently bought the bronco and the former owner told me he never used it and that he only used the auxiliary tank (which is newer and plastic). Anyway, long story short, I think the fuel pump is sucking rust out of the old main tank and I want to know how I can go about safely disconnecting it. Is it as simple as unhooking the fuel line from the tank and plugging it? Maybe a dumb question, but I'm new to this. Thanks in advance.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Since you have two tanks, there is a valve under the driver seat that switches between the main and auxiliary tanks. As long as you are running on the AUX tank, the rust in the main tank should play no part in how the Bronco is running. If you'd like to disconnect it for peace of mind, I'd disconnect the fuel line for the main tank at the valve under the seat and put a bolt with a hose clamp in the line.

crankman

does it have a fuel filter underneath by the tank or up by the carb? Iam using a sturdy plastic one from NAPA its clear and you can keep and eye on whats going through your fuel lines. Justino is right you can disconnect the line or just switch to the other tank and fix it later. ;)