• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Saginaw vs NAPA

j_66chevelle

Napa - Part # 20-6244 Power Steering Pump or Part# 81-6795

I was wondering if anyone has actually used the NAPA pump and are they satisfied. Obviously a big saving s in dollars... if it works well

Thanks

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
What is this pump replacing and on what vehicle?

I JUST replaced the CII pump/ bracket on my '95 F-150 w/ 5.0 cause I couldn't stand the WHIIIIIINE! Put a saginaw pump and E series van bracket on that was pulled from a 92-96 E series van. Pumps are easier to source and cheap (the canned ham style). I just bolted on the used one I got and it's like butta! SMOOOVE & QUIET! Got it from a guy on the FTE forum for $75 shipped to my door.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
IIRC they are the same pump and have been discontinued. There is still some stock out there sitting on shelves. Only problem is if you ever have to replace it you either have to send that pump in for rebuild or find an older application that uses the pump that the "Ford" version is based off of and transfer the adapter and shaft over to it.

I was going to go this direction and bought everything but the pump to do it. I then decided to pick up WildHorses' PS bracket which works for stock and Saginaw pumps. That way I am running a standard sag. pump which can be had at any parts store.

I think the threaded shaft pump that they built those out of is the old old sag pump(pre 70's).

There are quite a few threads on this in the search.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
It's a 74 Bronco 302

I'd get the conversion bracket from WH & either get a new saginaw pump w/ V belt pulley OR go pull one at the junkyard. The canned ham style sagi pumps can't be beat for a stock type pump & they're all over the place. You can find'em with dual returns in the res too as they were used in alot of hydroboost applications as well.

If you're running a serpentine setup off a mustang or pickup then the E series bracket/ pump will work for you. I'll see if I can post a pic of the one I just installed in my F-150 and it's a HUGE improvement over the stock F-150 pump.

1st pic: stock F-150 pump/ bracket
2nd pic: E series sagi pump/ bracket
3rd pic: all buttoned up

Attachments

• Sagi 1.jpg
    Sagi 1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Sagi pump 2.jpg
    Sagi pump 2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Sagi pump finished.jpg
    Sagi pump finished.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 54

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Napa - Part # 20-6244 Power Steering Pump or Part# 81-6795

I was wondering if anyone has actually used the NAPA pump and are they satisfied. Obviously a big saving s in dollars... if it works well

Thanks

Bought one of these NAPA replacement pumps yesterday to put into a stock '76 application. Its going to be a few weeks before I get the front axle back under the truck, but I will let you know how it works out.