• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sand Blasting / Media Blasting

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
Has anyone had any sand or media blasting done in the area? I am in mill creek washington, and am thinking of having my eb body blasted... Wondering how much it costs and where is a good place. The body is already removed, and i was thinking of wire wheeling it, then por-15 it, then i got to thinking...... Thats a lot of work.:eek:

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
You would not want to sand blast your body as it can warp it. I was told on here to look into Soda blasting. I looked into soda blasting my hard top and I think they wanted like $700. I never did it as it was too much. Maybe you can find it cheaper? I am right down the road from you in along the Echo lake exit on 522.

OP
OP
carter2772

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
wylecoyote just commented on NWCB, as i posted this thread there too, said alternate blasters did his stuff for around 500... Body, doors, grill, ect... I looked them up online and the use plasic and garnet, i guess this does not bend the metal. Will call them tomorro and see what they have to say.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
You would not want to sand blast your body as it can warp it.
There are all sorts of media you can use to blast; sand, soda, plastic, walnut shells, etc.

A good blast shop will know what to use so they don't warp the panels they're working on. Soda is nice, but you don't need it really for our body panels. They're pretty stout. I had most of my tub media blasted and had no warping. I actually don't know what media he used, but it wasn't sand and it wasn't soda. Something in between. And the cost wasn't bad at all.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Any media blasting shop worth their salt will know how much pressure to use on each body panel to avoid warping. It's the low end shops that have no idea what they are doing that warp panels and give everyone the impression that media blasting will ruin body panels. I have used two different shops and the difference was like comparing Cindy Crawford to Roseanne Bar..... %)

pmctighe

Any media blasting shop worth their salt will know how much pressure to use on each body panel to avoid warping. It's the low end shops that have no idea what they are doing that warp panels and give everyone the impression that media blasting will ruin body panels. I have used two different shops and the difference was like comparing Cindy Crawford to Roseanne Bar..... %)

Justin who do you recomend in Stockton? Any idea what their current rates are?

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I had mine blasted with no warped panels. I am not sure what the media was, but it was some form of sand that was pretty expensive. He said you have to adjust the pressure to do the body panels and blast at an angle and not straight on the panel. There are ways of doing it, but I think some companies just use too much pressure and try to get it done as quick as possible.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Justin who do you recomend in Stockton? Any idea what their current rates are?

Precision Stripping and Coating in Lodi. They powder coated some parts for me and the prices were reasonable. The owner is a classic car nut as well, so we shot the breeze for a while. He quoted me $700 to completely blast a '67 Mustang project I have. That was inside and out as well as the under carriage. I thought that was reasonable.

Precision Stripping and Coating
921 E. Vine St.
Lodi, CA 95240
(209) 333-1212

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Sorry, just noticed this thread, I looked around quite a bit before I got mine blasted, Alternative blasters did a great job, they even blasted the front quarters off the rig with out causing any warpage. They use Plastic media for the gross removal of paint and loose scale, then go back over the bad parts with garnet. The customer service was stellar, and the turn around was exactly as promised.

Attachments

• Blasted Tub 00002.JPG
    Blasted Tub 00002.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Blasted Tub 00003.JPG
    Blasted Tub 00003.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 10

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
I looked into having mine chem dipped $1100 for just the body. 140 for each door and tailgate. 190 for the hood. Seems expensive but worth it I guess.