• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sand blasting

NSG

I'm having the inside of my cab sand blasted. Is that a bad idea with the body still on the frame? Will sand get in the motor? It will obviously be covered but I know the sand gets everywhere. Your thoughts?

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Sand goes everywhere. But unless your air cleaner housing is open or missing, you shouldn't have a probelm with sand in the engine. People go to the sand dunes everyday.

You will want to us a vacuum and an air nozzle to get sound out of all your nooks and crannies afterwards.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
Yep sand will get everywhere.Make sure you seal the intake up good enough so when you're done you can hose everything off and you should be ok.You may want to look in to dry ice as a media,it will evaporate leaving only old rust and paint residue.

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
I would also plug up your vents with on old sponge, Diff vents, fuel tank vents etc. unless they have breathers on them.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Dry ice blasting is not too common on autos from what I have seen. It will do little to nothing to rust IMO, so you might as well use soda, walnut or plastic media which also does little to rust but is likley less expensive than dry ice.

Dry ice is typlically used for mold remediation (do not want a bunch of blasting media all over the inside of a house to cleanup) and for cleaning carbon deposits in heads and for tool and die cleaning where you do not want any grit.