• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seatbelt suggestions for child in rear seat needed

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
My son is nearly six and large enough to use a booster seat with a shoulder belt in the truck I typically drive. My Bronco has the stock rear seat and the lap belts at this point. My plans include getting a family cage so I can attach some three-point Jeep TJ shoulder belts for the rear passengers. What should I use for now? Is a lap belt safe enough with his booster seat for just cruising around town? Would a four or five point racing harness mounted to the floor keep him in place a little better? Any suggestions?

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I run 4 point Corbeau belts in the rear but the shoulder harness mounts to my family cage. The buckles are easy for the kids to use.
Not sure what you can do without solid mounts for the shoulders. Maybe others will have ideas.

OP
OP
DonaldDouchebag

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
I run 4 point Corbeau belts in the rear but the shoulder harness mounts to my family cage. The buckles are easy for the kids to use.
Not sure what you can do without solid mounts for the shoulders. Maybe others will have ideas.

Are you running an ExtremeCustom family cage with the 30 degree rear hoop? I think this is the setup I'm planning on getting later this summer.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
When the kids were still in car seats (with 4 point belts of their own) I used the stock lap belts & installed the "LATCH" points in the bed of my '73 Bronco to secure things even more. Now that my son is in a booster seat we use shoulder belts from Tom's (attached to my Crab family cage) and it works at least as well as it does in his mom's Explorer. Some booster seats have the LATCH system too; the mounting brackets are easy to scavenge off of a late-model vehicle & bolt into an EB with the stock lap belt mounts. That might be worth looking into...

OP
OP
DonaldDouchebag

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
When the kids were still in car seats (with 4 point belts of their own) I used the stock lap belts & installed the "LATCH" points in the bed of my '73 Bronco to secure things even more. Now that my son is in a booster seat we use shoulder belts from Tom's (attached to my Crab family cage) and it works at least as well as it does in his mom's Explorer. Some booster seats have the LATCH system too; the mounting brackets are easy to scavenge off of a late-model vehicle & bolt into an EB with the stock lap belt mounts. That might be worth looking into...
He's too big for a car seat with an integral four-point harness. I want to eventually get a family cage and run three-point belts like you. Just wondering if there are any other options in the meantime.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I run diest buggy 4pnt harnesses front and rear. The rears are attatched to the framework of the seats I made.

OP
OP
DonaldDouchebag

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
I run diest buggy 4pnt harnesses front and rear. The rears are attatched to the framework of the seats I made.
I wonder if I could get a harness with a Y belt for the shoulders and attach it to the floor behind the seat. Would that be better than just running a lap belt?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think so. Keeps em from flooping around. The diests are a smaller width y-type harness. Usually about $50 each. They recommend attatching the shoulder harnesses up higher but I feel it's still safer than no shoulder belt at all.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Sorry for the late responce but yes I am running the Extream Custom Family cage but with the 10 degree rear hoop. I like the look of the 30 but wanted mor protection for the kidds.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I also have the Diest Y-belts in the back for the kids. I dropped them down and mounted them to the floor behind the seat. Not ideal I suppose, but with the very low back of the stock rear bench, I wanted something that would keep them from flopping too bad and it has to be better than just a lap belt.

I used to have them in the front and attached to the roll bar up behind me. Not ideal for sure.

OP
OP
DonaldDouchebag

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the responses, fellas. I'm looking for a harness with a y-belt to order right now. I think it'll work until I get a cage.

OP
OP
DonaldDouchebag

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Sorry for the late responce but yes I am running the Extream Custom Family cage but with the 10 degree rear hoop. I like the look of the 30 but wanted mor protection for the kidds.

I've heard it's really difficult to put a soft top up and down with the 10 degree hoop. I have an old kayline soft top right now. Can you give me the pros and cons of the cage you're running? Like you, I'd rather get the most protection possible for the rear passengers since that is the point of a cage.

Thanks!

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Thanks for the responses, fellas. I'm looking for a harness with a y-belt to order right now. I think it'll work until I get a cage.

I have Corbeau three point (three attachment points, with two shoulder belts). They bolt to the floor. I got the 2" belts, they have a standard buckle system you see in most modern vehicles, very nice!

Brianut

Gimmie a few hours/maybe a day, and I can post some pics.
I am using 5 point Beard harnesses with the factory rear seat.
I scrounged my garage and came up with three (found the fourth later) shock bolts from my old 92 bronco that thread into the stock seatbelt holes.
took a flat bar 3/16 thick and drilled it to go over the vertical seatbelt bolts.

then took standard shock tab mounts and welded where they needed to be for the lap portion of the harness, and for the shoulder belts I welded two extended shock mounts to the top tube of the stock seat frame in a vertical manner for those to mount.

for the crotch strap I have it hooked under the front with a tab on the front of the seat frame. hard to visualize but as i said I can get a pic up today or tomorrow, I have a similiar setup next to it for my daughter who is still in a 5 point seat and just use the latch mechanism from her kid seat. took me some time but I am really pleased how it turned out.

cheap too, and when the little girl outgrows her seat and needs a booster I can just bolt up my other harness for her.
the beard harness is the full race latch style(forget the term) but my 7 year old son has no probs getting in and out, then he helps his lil sis.

backpain

Bronco Guru
Hadn't considered that (haven't looked at my stock rear seat buried in the garage for a couple years). With the external seat frame, it's so easy. Good ideas.