• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sell my rig on Ebay or not ?

chrisd0729

Loc.
Churchville, PA
I've sold different car/truck parts and stuff on eBay over the years with no problems and I'm debating on selling my EB on eBay. I've heard some horror stories about selling vehicles on eBay and I've heard from people who had no problems. I definitely don't want to get into shipping the truck but, I'm open to taking a drive to meet someone in between our locations. Is it worth putting a vehicle on eBay or, am I better off waiting for the internet and newspaper ads to do the job? I just need to get the cash out of it so I can get my new truck.

Any advice you can offer to sway me towards/against the eBay option?

Thanks.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I tried selling mine on the bay, but I got very little intrest, while other rigs went for top dollar, I thought EFI and a granny 4 speed disc brakes and PS would be desireable, but most folks just care about the paint.
and every single person that looked at my truck said,"I thought it was an automatic" even though it clearly said,"T-18 4 speed w/granny gear."

If mine was an automatic with a shiny paint job hiding all the bondo and rust, I could sell it in a flash.

I want to get a daily driver 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel and then get a beater trail rig.

Course I didnt have much luck selling it locally either.
aint giving it away, so I am still driving it.

I dont see any way you can get hurt, long as you only accept cold folding cash, if you are worried, meet the seller at a bank, annd have him cash his cashiers check or travellers checks and have the teller give you the cash, you can then get back in line and deposit the cash into your account, that way theres no possibility of getting a phoney cashiers check, which alot of people are doing now.

Some folks fall for the "we'll send you a check for more than the price, you cash it and send the extra back to us" scam, but that only works on the very dumb.

OP
OP
C

chrisd0729

Loc.
Churchville, PA
roundhouse said:
I want to get a daily driver 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel and then get a beater trail rig.

Funny... that's the same thing I'm looking to do. I've been looking at '02-'03 F250 SD's for a few weeks now. Awesome trucks but, have to get some cash out of the EB before I can afford it!!

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
I sold a 59 Impala on e-bay a long time ago. Was a great buyer/seller experience. Guy overnighted me a cashiers check and scheduled a truck for pickup. I had plenty of time to cash the check and know I had my $$$ before the truck ever arrived for the car.

I took lots of pictures and told him EVERYTHING I knew about the car. I held NOTHING back. He got the car with a big blue dent in it and by me taking all the pics, he saw the car as it was listed before they came to pick it up. He was happy with the car and my descriptions of it.

On the other hand...

I recently bought my EB on e-bay. Dood took some nice pictures of it and gave a description of it. But, about 40% of the stuff he claimed, he lied. He told me the engine was strong, the paint was good, it was re-wired, had spray in lining and a 6 point roll cage.

The engine is dead in 2 cylinders and has about 20% slop in the timing. The new paint is one coat on bare metal with no primer, no sanding, no clear coat. It's peeling and is full of orange peel. (can't see that in the pics). I haven't found any new wiring in the Bronco and the spray in liner is a cheap brand roll in that is already peeling as well. The 6 point roll cage is a smitty built from another Bronco that had been laid on it's side so it's bent and cracked.

Needless to say, I have major buyers remourse and will NEVER buy from e-bay again.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
two good experiences here..

1) ended up buying my EB because the rig was ADVERTISed thru ebay... bidding ended with reserve not met, and I was able to pic it up. But, I would have never known of the rig unless it were for ebay.
2) bought a 1999 Saab 9-3 SE back in 2001 for 11, 500 from a dude in chicago. Flew out there, gave him a check and drove it home to NY long island. No major issues since.

I would try it over ebay, but don't settle for anything less than you want. It will only cost you a few bucks...

crab

Bronco Guru
I posted my '70 bronco on ebay and set the reserve pretty high at $15K. It didn't sell, but got a lot of advertisement. Ended up getting into a bidding war after the auction was over between three people and sold it for $16.5K. Ebay is very cheap advertisement at the least. I would say people are looking to buy their toys right now (with tax returns) so it would be a great time to advertise.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I want a Cummins, as a former trucker thats the only diesel for me.
too bad you gotta buy a F-550 to get one in a Ford.

I woulent buy any car sight unseen, from ebay or anywhere, the plane tickets are cheap enough that you just buy a oneway on Airtran or Jetblue and go look at it. drive it home or drive it to a storage lot and arrange shipping yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse

Funny... that's the same thing I'm looking to do. I've been looking at '02-'03 F250 SD's for a few weeks now.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i am debating putting my rig on ebay found another one with fresh paint, engine etc less than a mile from my house found my current one less than three miles from my house the one i am looking at has excellent body and automatic, but i will be giving up p/s and disc brakes if someone on this site is interested i am going to ask about 5K my rig is uncut has rust in driver's rocker panel and lower quarter but mechanically is very good if interested send me a pm and i will take pics and send them i am in central mississippi and would prefer for a bronco lover to get this truck if i decide to sale it has awesome potential

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I want a Cummins, as a former trucker thats the only diesel for me.
too bad you gotta buy a F-550 to get one in a Ford.

I woulent buy any car sight unseen, from ebay or anywhere, the plane tickets are cheap enough that you just buy a oneway on Airtran or Jetblue and go look at it. drive it home or drive it to a storage lot and arrange shipping yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse

Funny... that's the same thing I'm looking to do. I've been looking at '02-'03 F250 SD's for a few weeks now.

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought I was getting a good deal on my EB when I won the bid on E-bay. The guy wasn't very truthful in what he told me about the vehicle. After hauling it back from Ohio to Lou,Ky. The more I got into it the more I found wrong, that's why I'm into a frame-off rebuild. One other thing, you guys wanting the F-250 diesel trucks, a little advice,I wouldn't drive anything but a Ford, as I am retired from there and think they are the best trucks on the road. But if you don't really need a diesel think twice, before buying one as they can be very expensive to repair after the warranty runs out. I know from experience and mine has less than 160K miles on it. Sam

K-Dog33

Loc.
South Central PA
I bought my 69 on E-Bay after the high bidder bailed out on the seller. The bidder was just trying to run up the price and had no intention of buying it.
My good fortune. ;D

tejayandtina

I bought my EB on ebay. Overall positive experience. The price was right, and the truck was pretty much as advertised. Some stuff wasn't done but not a deal breaker. I also bought my 99 F-150 on ebay from a place in Michigan. The price was also good and the transaction was positive as well, but the condition was not as good as I originally thought. I sold my 96 f-150 thru ebay. I priced it to sell and was happy with the results. Cash in hand, good guy bought it, done deal. I've heard of the negative stories as well, so I guess the best advice I can give is to set the terms you are comfortable with and don't budge. That way, even if you end up with a deadbeat, you won't suffer financially. Good luck!

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Any advice you can offer to sway me towards/against the eBay option?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Well I bought my EB on Ebay. It had "shiney paint and an automatic" I had the guy e-mail about 50 pictures. I know I paid too much for it, the buyer beware comes into play. Some of the things listed were not true, like the gear ratio's listed and the 6 pt roll bar was made from black iron pipe. The quality of the mechanical work, in some areas was lacking (Frt driveshaft rubbing against the C6 pan). But considering everything I got, fresh paint, brand new tires and a EFI motor with 12k on it to name a few, I think I did ok. It was hard explaining to the wife about spending that money and then tearing into the rig to make things right. It was a learning experience... You really need to know what you are buying and what to have them take pictures of. As far as selling it will be a roll of the dice... There are good and bad buyers out there. Make sure the money is good before you hand over the keys.

Doug