• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sheet metal bikini top? Anyone?

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

My fabric bikini top is old, very old and it's about time to redo the straps.

I was wondering, has anyone made a sheet metal bikini top?

Sounds strange but water wouldn't pool and I wouldn't need to replace the straps every few years.

If you know of any, can you post some pics?

Thanks,
Chris

Dannyboy71

I never have seen or heard of one but sounds like a cool idea. I think fiberglass or carbon fiber would be even better

Squid

Loc.
San Diego
The guy doing my cage had a fiberglass top on his. Well not really his anymore since he sold it. Looked sweet.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I have seen it done. Id make sure you put some creases in a X shape to prevent oil-canning. Similar to what they do to heating and air duct work.

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
I made one about 10 or so years ago from the front section of a wrecked hard top . Made braces mounting on the roll bar to support it . Worked great . Sold it with the Bronco ...:-[

70tplslt.jpg

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LOL , I like the idea but can't help thinking the next thing will be an "extended" version for family cages , which starts to look a lot like an original hard top!

Right off the bat I was thinking along the lines that stevew did and just use a sectioned off piece from a bad hard top. It would have to be really secure or it may take to the wind and that could get REALLY ugly for the folks behind you.

wdbowers

Loc.
Ada, Ok
Darrell Lewis from Tulsa has a diamond plate top and that is what I will have on mine.

Attachments

• darrell.jpg
    darrell.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 191

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Interesting idea. I like the idea of using part of a hard top. Not sure I could bring myself to put diamond plate on top though. Just not a fan of it.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the photos guys! I'm not a big enough fan of diamond plate to put it on top of my Bronco but I like his design alot. Keep those photos coming!
:cool:

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
One of the most famous Broncos had one :)

Attachments

• bigoly.jpg
    bigoly.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 80

malonejy

Bronco Guru
This may be more than what you're looking for but I thought I would post it. It's not mine, it was built by West Coast Broncos. I took it off their site.

Attachments

• dscn7793.jpg
    dscn7793.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 162

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
This may be more than what you're looking for but I thought I would post it. It's not mine, it was built by West Coast Broncos. I took it off their site.

At first glance it appears that that Bronco has a couple of solar panels mounted to the top. Hey....wait a minute...solar panels for a bikini! Never charge your battery again!

jlylec

This is badass! I'm sure it would cost thousands to have made but I'd love to have one like this!

-Lyle

Bronco Biff

Contributor
How about a fiberglass one?

Attachments

• smiles1.jpg
    smiles1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 70
  • mg73bw.JPG
    mg73bw.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 60

graniteguy

Loc.
Kempner, TX
I made one about 10 or so years ago from the front section of a wrecked hard top . Made braces mounting on the roll bar to support it . Worked great . Sold it with the Bronco ...:-[

70tplslt.jpg

Brilliant!

The main thing I liked on my 94 was the enclosed front seat area with the top off. It keeps the wind and weather out, yet gives you the outdoor feeling. I gotta do this. No reason not to.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Hmm ive been thinking about chopping my hard top right where the side windows start and leaving the back open.... Could always add some button snaps and make a removable soft bulk head. It would sure be nice not to have the side of my face sprayed with water every time the weather man is wrong %)