• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shift lever bushing/clip help

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
So I dont think this should be as difficult as it is. I replaced the shift linkage bushing and now when I put the rod in the bushing the groove for the clip is not accessible.

What am I doing wrong or what am I missing? Do I need to file the tip of the bushing?

Does everything look right? If additional photos/angles are needed let me know what you need to see.

Can you please post some pics of yours for a visual.

Thank you in advance for your time/help,

Sonny

Attachments

• 20210123_114455.jpg
    20210123_114455.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210123_114432.jpg
    20210123_114432.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210106_180001.jpg
    20210106_180001.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Metal clip on the right goes down on your transmission itself. The white plastic upper shift piece looks like it is installed just right.

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Isn't there supposed to be a clip at the top preventing the shift linkage rod from being able to pull out? That's what I thought the metal clip was for?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Coincidentally, I was just messing around with mine this afternoon. It is just as 75Mike describes....

BroncoChicken

Isn't there supposed to be a clip at the top preventing the shift linkage rod from being able to pull out? That's what I thought the metal clip was for?

Anyone who has ever removed that bushing can attest it should never “pop out.” I almost bought a new steering column because of how difficult it was to remove it.

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Like I mentioned, it has been longer than i expected when i first removed the entire steering column and now finally finishing the reinstall.

I thought i removed a clip/retainer that was between the rod and the bushing. So for the last couple of days (literally) my dad and I have been trying to figure out how to get the clip/retainer on. But after the help, I guess I was wrong (not the first time and wont be the last).

Thank you everyone for your time/help.

Sonny

Attachments

• 20210123_141114.jpg
    20210123_141114.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 32

ND BRNCO

Contributor
Been a while since this post but I'm hoping for some help on this. How did you press the rod into the bushing? Or if you but the busing in the shift connector first, same question? I cant get the bushing to pop onto the rod! Hope you're still on the forum...

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Been a while since this post but I'm hoping for some help on this. How did you press the rod into the bushing? Or if you but the busing in the shift connector first, same question? I cant get the bushing to pop onto the rod! Hope you're still on the forum...
Bushing into the hole and then I just use Channel lock pliers and give it a good squeeze to push the rod end through.

ND BRNCO

Contributor
Okay thanks. Will give that a shot. I was trying to put the rod through the bushing first. There's a couple other posts here that say the same thing: I'm doing it wrong!